A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Scooters Mom Posts

Re: Early FRIDAY DISTRACTION for 3/13/15
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #890574 by Jiffy
Mar 11, 2015 11:50am
Thread Board
I read an article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Saturday, August 7, 2004, titled "The game's afoot", about the first gathering of letterboxers in Georgia at Stone Mountain Park. It said "more than 50 letterboxers from 9 states are expected to attend, and they'll be scouring the park for the 10 boxes hidden there."

There was a photo of a plastic container with the words "This is Not Trash This is a Letterbox" printed on the top and another of a logbook and signature stamp. It was described as hunting for a treasure with no intrinsic value by following clues posted on the internet to find boxes that other letterboxers have hidden. It sounded like something fun to do while walking Scooter so I saved the article and did some research.
Re: Comparison search
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #893703 by Teacup
Apr 2, 2015 9:56am
Thread Board
I would like to do a search for boxes that a friend and I both need in the state of Maine.

Click on the Letterboxes tab and select "Advanced Search". Put Maine in the Location. Then scroll down to Other Options and make sure "Hide My Finds" is checked. In the section called Participants put your friend's name in the "Hide Finder" box. The result should be boxes that neither you nor your friend have found.
Re: Missing find?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #894585 by Inkwell
Apr 10, 2015 9:09pm
Thread Board
My comment on the find is on the list but the find is not in my logbook nor on the list of finds in the box description.

That happened to me last week. We found a series of 4 but after I logged our finds they didn't show up in the logbook. I realized that when I left a comment I forgot to check Found on the radio buttons. On an individual box the default is Found but on a series the default is NA.
Easy Hot Fudge Sauce
Board: Food For Thought
Apr 18, 2015 5:11am
Thread Board
I made Easy Hot Fudge Sauce last night. So easy, fast, and GOOD. I stirred in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract after it done as someone suggested in the comments.

We're having it tonight over brownies and vanilla ice cream, with slivered almonds on top for my daughter's birthday celebration.
Re: Does Johnny really deserve a sad face?
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #895676 by Wronghat
Apr 18, 2015 8:08pm
Thread Board
How?

Go to your box and click on Maintenance Report

You'll get:
Needs Maintenance?
Are any repairs needed on your box?
☺Everything is good!
☹Maintenance is needed.

Click on the Everything is good! button.
Bonus Boxes
Apr 18, 2015 8:25pm
Thread Board
I have missed several bonus boxes because I keep forgetting to check the front and back pages of logbooks and to look for any inserts in boxes so I planted one to help remind me.

The host box has been found several times but the bonus has never been found and I still keep forgetting to check for them.
Re: Bonus Boxes
Reply to: #895726 by FloridaFour
Apr 20, 2015 1:44pm
Thread Board
I usually hint in the clue to look for a bonus, because I do want them found.

Good idea. I had put the clues to it on the inside of the back cover. I need to add something to the clue to hint that it's there.

We did go back and get the bonus that we had missed and discovered when logging our finds for the day. I just had to finish the series and it was very close to home. And it was sunny for a few hours this morning before the storms blew in again!
Re: FRIDAY DISTRACTION - 5/1/15
Reply to: #897074 by Jiffy
May 1, 2015 7:06am
Thread Board
Scooters Mom: exercise
Scooters Dad: discovery
Re: FRIDAY DISTRACTION - 6/12/15
Reply to: #901639 by belless
Jun 12, 2015 9:22am
Thread Board
I use a plain, hard cover 5x8 inch Moleskin Classic Notebook that fits perfectly in my messenger bag. It has a bookmark and elastic closure.

Does anyone use both sides of the page?

I stamp on both sides of the page, down the left side. There's no bleed-through. At the end of the day I write the name of the box, the owner, carver, date planted, where found, and date found on the right side of the page, beside the stamp. If I'm finding a series I stamp across and then down the page and write the series info at the end.
Re: Menu suggestions
Board: Camping, Backpacking, and the Great Outdoors
Reply to: #905566 by Sagacorn
Jul 25, 2015 3:23pm
Thread Board
I think in my Girl Scout days we called it Birds nest

I've always called it "Egg in a Frame". Toast the buttered cut out middles on the griddle while the eggs are cooking.
Re: Nice change on LbNA!
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #907368 by On The Corner!
Aug 16, 2015 4:36am
Thread Board
So...when is Hat Day?! Found 2 from LBNA but not listed on AQ ;)

Home, help, search for help, hat day: http://www.atlasquest.com/about/wiki/search.html?search=hat+day&answer=1#q16

"A few times each year, this premium member feature is opened for non-premium members to take advantage of. These days are variously called Free Listing Day or Hat Day since a theme featuring many of the premium member hats shows up on designated dates. What dates? It's random—it could happen on any day, and with absolutely no warning. Many non-premium members are valuable members of this community, and Free Listing Day is designed for them. Members who regularly check Atlas Quest and are active message board participants will likely be able to take advantage of Free Listing Day while those who log in infrequently will likely miss it."
Re: A Walk in the Woods
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #909005 by SnakeDoctor
Sep 7, 2015 4:34am
Thread Board
We're looking forward to seeing the movie. I read that a scene was filmed at the The Colonnade Restaurant on Cheshire Bridge Rd but looks like it's somewhere along the AT in the movie.

Anyone want to hazard a guess how many LB'ing miles they've trekked?

From My Page, My Statistics: Find Miles Traveled: 28,108 miles

AQ Premium Membership
Exclusive My Statistics page to learn all about your boxing habits

How are miles traveled calculated?
We looked at your list of plants and finds and calculated the distance between each box, one after the other, and added them up. Which is great for boxes that have locations specified, but it fails to take into account mystery boxes or finds from unlisted boxes where there is no location available for such calcuations. For those boxes, we assumed a conservative 10 miles per box. Which might seem small compared your overall distance/box average, but we are assuming that when you travel to a location, you find many boxes at once—some are listed, some are unlisted, and some are mysteries. In that "cluster" of boxes, you probably don't travel far. Then you might go to another location hundreds or thousands of miles away on vacation and find another "cluster" of boxes in that location. Recording finds on listed boxes would already pick up that large jump in distance, so replicating it in the unlisted finds or mystery boxes would be redundant. So, for travel miles, we assume that you found each unlisted or mystery box within ten miles of a listed letterbox.
Box Radar Keeps Stopping
Board: Box Radar
Sep 22, 2015 6:39am
Thread Board
When I open Box Radar on my phone I keep getting a popup message:
"Unfortunately, Box Radar has stopped."
I uninstalled and reinstalled the app but that didn't help. Is anyone else having a problem?
Re: What food is your state famous for?
Reply to: #917709 by photopam
Jan 13, 2016 6:39am
Thread Board
Ky: lived ther for a few years, never had a hot brown. Don't think I ever heard of a hot brown... Maybe they're not in Lexington?

My hometown is Kentucky. The Brown Hotel in Louisville is famous for the Hot Brown Open Face Sandwich. They first served it in the 1920's. Here's the history of it and the recipe.

http://www.brownhotel.com/dining-hot-brown
Re: What food is your state famous for?
Reply to: #917713 by Scooters Mom
Jan 15, 2016 1:05pm
Thread Board
My hometown is Kentucky.

Editing post:
I meant to say My hometown is Louisville, KY
Found, NA, Missing
Board: Suggestion Box
Mar 15, 2016 4:39am
Thread Board
Would it be possible to be required to select either Found, NA, or Missing instead of having Found as the default on individual boxes and NA as the default on a series? A popup could remind you to make a selection before being able to click on Record Find. I just got a Found notice on one of my boxes but the comment said "This box is no longer there!".
I've also forgotten to change NA to Found on a series before and had to go back and correct it when I realized the finds weren't showing up in my logbook.
Zucchini Bread
Aug 8, 2016 6:00am
Thread Board
The zucchini bread recipe in the About Theme is very good and I've made it several times since printing it last year. We had so much zucchini this summer that I grated a lot of it, packed small baggies with 1 cup each, put all the baggies in a large bag and froze them.
Re: Zucchini Bread
Reply to: #932609 by God's Children
Aug 8, 2016 1:24pm
Thread Board
do you thaw them out and squeeze out the excess liquid

I just thaw the zucchini enough to be able to mix in with the wet ingredients and don't squeeze out the excess liquid. I thought it would be the same amount as if using fresh shredded zucchini. I froze it in one cup portions because I usually just make one loaf at a time.

I have a loaf in the fridge right now........make that a half loaf. One of my Lock & Locks is too big for a letterbox but is the exact size to store a loaf.
Re: Zucchini Bread
Reply to: #932626 by carry on grandma
Aug 8, 2016 1:28pm
Thread Board
My one plant was great the first half of the summer. A few were hidden under the leaves and grew HUGE before I saw them. About mid July it died, so I'm glad I froze some before then.
Re: Location not working?
Reply to: #936209 by Archinerd
Oct 10, 2016 6:11am
Thread Board
Any help would be appreciated as we tend to use this feature quite a bit as we drive around.

I miss the AQ location based search too. The Home part works on my Note 4 but the Here part doesn't work. Both still work on the Note 2. Luckily Box Radar has been working most of the time now.
Re: LB'ing Highs and Lows
Reply to: #955680 by Wise Wanderer
Jan 19, 2018 10:46am
Thread Board
How about when you get a find notice but in the remarks they say couldn't find the box? It's easy to forget to change the check box.
Re: This is Us: Last nights episode
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #955945 by Boxer Lover47
Jan 25, 2018 3:18pm
Thread Board
Re: What up?
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #958763 by T REX
Apr 8, 2018 5:16am
Thread Board
Chipper and I are still trying to find your dog's. We've tracked down 12 so far and think we know where a couple more are hiding.
Re: What up?
Reply to: #958881 by T REX
Apr 9, 2018 11:47am
Thread Board
I have more

I know!!! I didn't mention all the Dogs we've looked for but haven't been able to find (yet).
Re: PAL count
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #960421 by Dawnkey
May 24, 2018 1:20pm
Thread Board
Note: The "Everybody" group means all registered members on AQ. For non-members to see your box, you must set the group to "None"

Since Everybody usually means no one is left out, maybe it would be better if instead of everybody, the selection should say AQ Members
Re: FOUND: Autrey Mill Letterbox
Reply to: #960973 by Eidolon
Jun 8, 2018 9:22am
Thread Board
It's one of the Heritage Quest series. We found them on 6/24/16. I sent an email to ZTeam5.
Re: Question about table top boxes / HIPS
Reply to: #961111 by BaliWho
Jun 11, 2018 8:36am
Thread Board
I have been logging the find to leave comments, then deleting the find and then re-logging it manually as an event stamp.

You can leave a comment without logging the find by changing the default Found to NA.

I've listed them as either Event stamps or Other.
Re: List of unlisted boxes
Reply to: #961393 by Sagacorn
Jun 17, 2018 2:04pm
Thread Board
Is there a way I can pull up a list of just boxes that are not listed on AQ but I have found and listed as a find as a premium member?

The boxes you found and listed as a find as a premium member will be listed first if you sort by Owner. It will show both boxes never listed on AQ and boxes previously listed on AQ but deleted, in alphabetical order.
Re: New Boxes widget.
Reply to: #964662 by Sagacorn
Aug 30, 2018 7:40am
Thread Board
How is it determined what comes up on the widget?

Click on the pencil beside "Newest Letterboxes" in the widget. You can set it up to show a location, distance from the selected location, number of boxes to show, number of days the new box will be displayed, and either the full address or just the city where they are located.

Don't forget to save your selections.
Re: National Treasure
Board: Movie Moments
Reply to: #965533 by Sits N Knits
Sep 19, 2018 4:55am
Thread Board
So once again I watched Nicolas Cage in National Treasure. That movie always inspires me.

That brought back a really old memory.

re: National Treasure