A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Scooters Mom Posts

Re: "split clues"
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #856323 by Ralph Spoilsport
Jul 5, 2014 7:16am
Thread Board
You're right. It is new, and I love it. Thank you Ryan!!!!!

Recent Thread: What do all the options for printing multiple clues mean?

Wiki Help: What do all the options for printing multiple clues mean?

When I unchecked "use single column layout" to allow two columns, I had to change my print setting to 80% before two columns showed up in the print preview.

And NOT allowing split clues is so much better than a clue spilling over to the second page when printing multiple clues.
Re: "split clues"
Reply to: #856334 by Green Tortuga
Jul 5, 2014 1:35pm
Thread Board
If you want to print regularly with 2 columns, I'd suggest changing your print settings on AQ so you won't have to mess around with the print settings on your browser every time you want to print.

That took care of it. I did have the print preference set to large text. With "normal text" on AQ I had to change my browser print setting 90% to get 2 columns, but when I changed the printed material preference to "small text" the clues print in 2 columns without changing the print settings on my browser. Thanks.
Re: Way to tag letterboxes?
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #858230 by Grrly Girl
Jul 15, 2014 4:26am
Thread Board
Hi mitchellFamily, and welcome.

Once you've tagged some boxes you can name your tags by clicking on Preferences in the My Page tab dropdown, then on Letterboxes to:
"Set your letterbox preferences—name your tags, set up default searches, and display options for clues".

If I'm planning a trip, I'll tag the boxes I want to try to find and name the color tag with the place we're going. If I print clues I tag the boxes green to remind me not to print them again. I use another tag for mystery letterboxes that I want to solve. Once it's solved I remove the tag.

If you run out of tags you can use two colors and then run an advanced search and save the search with a name describing the meaning of the two colors. But like Grrly Girl, said being a premium member and having more stars (8 colors instead of 4) is nice.
Re: Got to say it
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #859479 by purplerose froggyking
Jul 22, 2014 8:04am
Thread Board
Pi is 3.14. Today is 7-22. 22÷7=3.14.
Re: Newbie Needs Help!
Board: BIA Addicts
Reply to: #861354 by Jaybirders
Aug 4, 2014 3:47am
Thread Board
The manual says to use the spacer bar to make up to 1" books

I use 1/2" diameter owires to make my letterbox logbooks and use the space bar you asked about. The space bar makes the holes punch closer to the edge of the page. It came with my blue Bind-it-All but is an option with the pink one. Hobby Lobby sells the Bind-it-All and I think they also sell the space bar.

Here's some info about the space bar:

http://www.binditall.com/SpaceBar.html The video doesn't work from the link on this page but the pictures explain how to install the space bar and show the difference in the distance from the edge of the page to the holes.

video showing how to install the space bar and ordering info

The hardest part for me to remember is how to insert the wires so the seam is in the back of the book. This helps:

Bind-it-All Chapter 4: Let's Bind!
Re: can't log a hitchhiker
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #862438 by CasperPack
Aug 6, 2014 10:48am
Thread Board
log book just said perry the platypus hitch hiker

Go to: http://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/

type Perry in the name line and change the box type to HH/cootie/flea

you should get:
search results

The third one is Perry the Playtpus HH. See if it matches the previous finders and locations in the logbook of the one you found
Re: hitchhikers
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #863370 by Cghlnn-GlitterGirl
Aug 10, 2014 4:07pm
Thread Board
Welcome to a great and very addictive hobby!

Can u tell me what a hitchhiker is

Help: Hitchhikers/Cooties/Fleas

anything else that's helpful to newbies

The best place to start is at About Letterboxing a dropdown at the Home tab at the top of the page.
Re: Ignoring Unknowns?
Board: Box Radar
Reply to: #864795 by marrtians
Aug 19, 2014 5:17am
Thread Board
There's a box with two horizontal lines on the bottom left of my phone when I'm on the BR map. I'm not sure if all phones have the same settings. When I touch it I get a list that includes "Settings". Go to the settings page. Click on Atlas Quest at the top of the page. Remove the "Include Unknown Boxes" checkmark.

You can also ignore a box when on the BR clue. Click on the two horizontal lines again to get to a menu which has an "Ignore Box" option.
Easy Blueberry Sauce Recipe
Board: Food For Thought
Aug 29, 2014 4:34am
Board

Ingredients

1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Dash salt
1/4 cup water
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Directions

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually whisk in water until smooth. Add the blueberries, lemon juice and peel; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened, stirring occasionally (some berries will remain whole). Serve warm or chilled over ice cream. Yield: 3/4 cup.

Nutritional Facts

1/4 cup (calculated without ice cream) equals 96 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.

I found the recipe on the Taste of Home website and served it over angel food cake. It would also be good over waffles or pancakes.

Doggy Shampoo
Board: Critter Corner
Sep 3, 2014 8:47am
Thread Board
Glycerin was mentioned in the "Ink pad revitalization?" thread. I was going to post a reply there but decided this is a better place. I buy a small bottle of glycerin in the pharmacy section and use it to make doggy shampoo:

1 cup Ivory dish soap
1 ounce glycerin
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 cups water
Re: Doggy Shampoo
Board: Critter Corner
Reply to: #867427 by Treasurehonas
Sep 3, 2014 1:40pm
Thread Board
Scooter's 15 years old and I've used it for most of his life.
Re: Project Runway American Girl Challenge
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #869603 by Amanda from Seattle
Sep 22, 2014 3:19pm
Thread Board
The little girls did a good job of modeling the outfits and looked like they were having fun. I found this on the American Girl website:

Project Runway Inspired by BeForever™ Tour

It’s a first-ever American Girl event. For two exciting days, we will be hosting an exhibit of BeForever-inspired fashion designs as seen on a recent episode of the hit television show Project Runway. You’ll get to view a select assortment of the actual outfits from the show. The event is free and no reservations are required. But the designs will be here for only two days, so mark your calendar! Free and open to the public. For all ages.

Event details by store

Atlanta: September 25, 26
Boston: November 4, 5
Chicago: October 18, 19
Columbus: October 7, 8
Dallas: November 20, 21
Denver: November 28, 29
Houston: November 14, 15
Kansas City: October 23, 24
Los Angeles: December 6, 7
Miami: November 9, 10
Minneapolis: October 12, 13
Seattle: December 17, 18
San Francisco Bay Area: December 11, 12
St. Louis: October 29, 30
Washington D.C.: October 1, 2

http://www.americangirl.com/stores/events_index.php
Re: mounted stamps
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #869951 by iSignASLily
Sep 25, 2014 3:51am
Thread Board
Toolbox-Tutorials-Stamp Carving 101-Mounting the Stamp

http://www.atlasquest.com/tutorials/carving/mounting/
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
Board: State: Georgia
Sep 27, 2014 2:35pm
Board
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas has moved from Lilburn to Marietta. When we moved it this morning we also discovered a great farmers market. Marietta Square Farmers Market
Re: Stone Mountain Park
Reply to: #870413 by TwoFoxes
Sep 28, 2014 7:41pm
Thread Board
Are there any on the covered bridge island?

Georgia Oak is on the island.
Re: How am I losing weight?
Board: Weight Watching Boxers
Reply to: #869074 by Dizzy
Oct 10, 2014 10:44am
Thread Board
Eating 1200 calories of Twinkies is not going to help you lose but eating 1400 calories of healthy foods will.

That was my problem........mindless eating of the wrong foods for the wrong reasons. I have jeans ranging from size 6 to 16 in my closet and have lost count of the number of different "diets" I've been on over the years. The last one about 3 years ago I lost 15 lbs but when I quit, gained 20.

I heard on some TV talk show that a person's waist size should be less than one-half of their height, that belly fat was the most unhealthy. I found my tape measure and my waist was over 7 inches more than one-half my height.

I downloaded the "Lose It" app on my phone, saved loseit.com on my computer and since Sept 3 have recorded everything I've eaten and what exercise I've done, which is mostly walking Scooter and Chipper. I can add recipes and even scan a barcode if the food isn't in their list. Keeping track has made me more aware of what I'm eating and to make better choices. I'm trying to eat around 50% carbohydrates, 30% fat and 20% protein. Knowing what I've eaten during the day helps me decide what to fix for dinner and whether my afternoon snack should be a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts.

So far 5 lbs. down, but a lot to go. I'm glad I found this board to help keep me motivated.
Re: LBNA down?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #874356 by Bungalow Boxer
Oct 28, 2014 11:02am
Thread Board
I can't even get onto LBNA.

It was up this morning but I just tried again and got an error message.
Re: Jingle Boxing? Don Carter
Reply to: #875844 by twodancersandacat
Nov 10, 2014 7:58am
Thread Board
There are already quite a few boxes in Gainesville/surrounding area, although granted not at the new park.

I'm wondering why my box at Don Carter isn't showing up in searches. We were there in March and found several geocaches, including the GA State Park Geocache and planted a letterbox.

Southern Red Oak
Re: Jingle Boxing? Don Carter
Reply to: #875861 by twodancersandacat
Nov 10, 2014 10:30am
Thread Board
Our box is the only one there. I was just responding to the comments about no boxes being in the park when it did show up in my search of Gainesville.
Re: Jingle Boxing
Reply to: #877942 by Scout MOM
Nov 24, 2014 7:37am
Thread Board
We're looking forward to Jingle Boxing and finding the boxes on the trail behind the nature center. The last time we were there we had the dogs with us and had to skip them. Dogs are allowed on the trails on the other side of the park around Alexander Lake.

And just FYI for those wondering if people would go to Don Carter SP.....yes! It is easily accessible from 985 and 85....just needs some boxes!

We've been to Don Carter a couple of times and enjoyed walking the trails. We drove up to check out the RV campground but it isn't as nice as the older parks. The primitive camping sites looked nice and there's one very lonely box on a paved multi-use trail near them.
Re: Incredibly Close bear encounter video
Board: Miscellaneous Oddities
Reply to: #877946 by turkey feathers
Nov 24, 2014 11:38am
Thread Board
This was on Good Morning America the other day:

Bear Examines Photographer's Camera
Re: Excuse Me...
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #879339 by scouttrekkie
Dec 6, 2014 2:31pm
Thread Board
Was anyone else expecting to see a Steve Martin video:

"well exCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"
Panola Mountain State Park is Dog Friendly!
Dec 14, 2014 6:23pm
Board
The " No dogs" sign has been removed from the entrance to the Outcrop and Watershed trails. The girl at the front desk said the rules had changed and to ignore the no dogs part of the sign in front of the Nature Center. She said they can't remove it because it has a lot of other information on it. Dogs are now welcome on all the trails at Panola!

We had so much fun at Jingle Boxing this afternoon. There are great boxes on some really nice trails. One overlook even has a view of Stone Mountain. Thanks twodancersandacat for organizing it and for the very special boxes you planted for the event.
Re: Monday Distraction - 12/15/14
Reply to: #880394 by Jiffy
Dec 15, 2014 4:44am
Thread Board
Ramblin' Rose 8/27/04
Re: Friday Distraction - 12/19/14
Reply to: #880961 by Jiffy
Dec 19, 2014 8:28am
Thread Board
It was at the Treasure Haunt 2004 so I may have actually met someone else first but Amyrica was the first person I exchanged with at the event. We had been boxing for two months and had only found 14 boxes but three of them were planted by her. I have 20 signature stamps from the people we met that night.
Re: HELP!
Board: BIA Addicts
Reply to: #881622 by Mommy Mouse
Dec 26, 2014 8:03am
Thread Board
When I first got my BIA these videos really helped. http://binditall.com/VideoGuide.html

It also helps to have a logbook to look at when I'm binding one. It keeps me from putting the coils in the book backwards.

I use the 1/2 inch coils for logbooks that will be put in letterboxes. My books are usually about 3x5 inch or smaller and about 40-50 pages.
Berry College Eagles
Feb 12, 2015 5:05am
Thread Board
The first egg was laid Jan 6 and the second egg was laid on January 9. They should hatch very soon. You can see the nest from the parking lot.

Berry College Eagles Nest Photo

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/
Re: Early FRIDAY DISTRACTION for 3/13/15
Reply to: #890574 by Jiffy
Mar 11, 2015 11:50am
Thread Board
I read an article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Saturday, August 7, 2004, titled "The game's afoot", about the first gathering of letterboxers in Georgia at Stone Mountain Park. It said "more than 50 letterboxers from 9 states are expected to attend, and they'll be scouring the park for the 10 boxes hidden there."

There was a photo of a plastic container with the words "This is Not Trash This is a Letterbox" printed on the top and another of a logbook and signature stamp. It was described as hunting for a treasure with no intrinsic value by following clues posted on the internet to find boxes that other letterboxers have hidden. It sounded like something fun to do while walking Scooter so I saved the article and did some research.
Re: Comparison search
Reply to: #893703 by Teacup
Apr 2, 2015 9:56am
Thread Board
I would like to do a search for boxes that a friend and I both need in the state of Maine.

Click on the Letterboxes tab and select "Advanced Search". Put Maine in the Location. Then scroll down to Other Options and make sure "Hide My Finds" is checked. In the section called Participants put your friend's name in the "Hide Finder" box. The result should be boxes that neither you nor your friend have found.
Re: Missing find?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #894585 by Inkwell
Apr 10, 2015 9:09pm
Thread Board
My comment on the find is on the list but the find is not in my logbook nor on the list of finds in the box description.

That happened to me last week. We found a series of 4 but after I logged our finds they didn't show up in the logbook. I realized that when I left a comment I forgot to check Found on the radio buttons. On an individual box the default is Found but on a series the default is NA.