"All science is either physics or stamp collecting"

-Ernest Rutherford 1871-1933
Physicist, letterboxer
Re: Finding new letterboxers/looking for a bargainI
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #968685 by NandJ
Nov 25, 2018 4:44pm
Thread Board
Share an interesting place that you yourself enjoy visiting! This adds your voice and vision to your plants. A scenic vista, historical location, great hike, or even your favorite ice cream stand(a double reward or a bribe for noxer tag-a-longs) Those are nice places to send a new boxer & all the other boxers in your planting area.

Also try your hand at writing a clue based hunt. Something as simple as "Go to the town famous for . . . " "then find the park named after our 16th president" "take the trail that's a real buzz (bee trail)" Then it becomes an interesting hunt when searchers have to piece a few things together.

I'd personally try to "steer clear" of light poles ;)
(unless there was a significant attraction there & you couldn't plant it anywhere else)

Good luck & happy planting!
Re: Finding new letterboxers/looking for a bargain
Reply to: #968733 by Rocklun
Nov 26, 2018 8:05am
Thread Board
I've encountered wasps/bees in guardrails on multiple occasions.

About a third of the time there seems to be a nest, old empty one, or a geocache.

Btw, we all randomly check guard rails at interesting locations right?
Reply to: #968750 by NandJ
Nov 26, 2018 1:33pm
Thread Board
Below is my initial response
https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.php?msgId=968707

Now that you've revealed that you have been boxing for almost 20 years your original post is pure troll or a gag. 30 commercial stamp light post boxes in parking lots? Fess up! There are not many 20-year boxers in circulation!

:)
Re: Looking for a Challenge?
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #968732 by Sagacorn
Nov 26, 2018 2:19pm
Thread Board
The finder will have to answer but a
little digging on LbNA . . .

;)
Reply to: #968858 by MissMoon
Nov 28, 2018 8:53am
Thread Board
Although Ryan may soon have to find another animal.

https://psmag.com/environment/what-killed-these-lemurs

Dang, did we do that!?!
Re: I found and would like to return
Reply to: #969309 by JRA
Dec 12, 2018 11:34am
Thread Board
Thanks for taking the time to sign up and try to get the letterbox back to its owner! The MA letterboxers will try to see who is the owner and contact you!

Thanks again for saving this letterbox from the trash!
Re: I found and would like to return
Reply to: #969309 by JRA
Dec 12, 2018 2:16pm
Thread Board
Looks like it may be a Hitchhiking letterbox. This is one that travels from inside one letterbox to the inside of another. Unless someone else found better information (bonus box etc)

You've already been very helpful! Is it possible for you to mail it to a local letterboxer?
Re: Finding box versus stamp?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #969379 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 14, 2018 8:23am
Thread Board
After hiking a long ways, and looking hard for a particular box, I found it with nothing inside but the logbook and a little plastic cow (wrapped in the inky felt that once protected a stamp). I was unwilling to leave without the find, so I inked that cow up, and stamped it in my logbook. And yes, I recorded the find.

Earned your trail name that day!

(Don't ask about ours)
Re: Replace, two-in-one, or new box?
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #969751 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 29, 2018 6:20pm
Thread Board
I understand how it happened, but a logbook every .1 mile on average by the same planter? You're ears would be ringing . . . . .
Hellooooooooo!
Jan 11, 2019 6:31am
Thread Board
Re: Quack like a Goose
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Reply to: #969275 by Sir Braemoor
Jan 19, 2019 11:44am
Thread Board
Has anyone been mixing up batches of sangria? I had a strange dream . . . . .
Re: Wassa in Westford... (x-post)
Reply to: #970519 by wassamatta u
Jan 22, 2019 10:52am
Thread Board
Wassa in Westford

Thanks for the warning!

But I suppose if you can come from CA, I can drag my a$$ over from the next town.

In addition to the other good meeting suggestions already mentioned, here are a few other options:

There is a lunch buffet (11:30-2:30) on Saturdays at Bamboo Asian cuisine in Westford that includes dim sum, sushi & dessert I believe.

Panera Bread - Westford

Evviva Tratttoria - Pizza and up
Re: Grateful Camping 2019!!
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #970657 by Echo
Jan 25, 2019 11:16am
Thread Board
Hey there!

Remind me('cause I'm a dingus) a few days before the event and I'll have a couple of chairs ready for you.

I believe the group site has been booked for Friday & Saturday. Check with zess the treehuggers about the details of how that allows day visitors to the state forest to stay past hours for those nights.

See you in July!
Re: LL Bean Night Owl 's Final Flight Event
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #970713 by Daytrippers 54
Jan 27, 2019 5:35pm
Thread Board
Team MudCup!

Being my first Bean event, I did not know what to expect. Well I had a blast and everyone one I met, both friends & new friends, had a blast as well! Lots of fun & smiley faces! Now I only wish I'd made it up there before!!
It was also a pleasure to finally meet you guys after all those close calls over the years!

CooLL Beans to both of you!!

Ding
Re: What did we miss ABCs?
Reply to: #971039 by RDHG
Feb 5, 2019 4:50pm
Thread Board
Jumping Jehoshaphat! Just Jocular jinking jaunts in January, June & July to jackpots of jazzy joy!
Re: Does anyone clean stamps anymore?!?!?
Reply to: #971942 by MissMoon
Feb 22, 2019 9:16am
Thread Board
As far as I'm concerned the only time anyone is "required" to clean a stamp.....and clean it thoroughly...... is when they feel the strange need to use metallic ink.

I want to once again thank the poor boxer for cleaning out the gold metallic ink we slobbered into every nook & cranny of Lundy and Vickster's brilliantly carved and Purple Diamond earning Lynn, Lynn the City of . . . series. We were new . . . and first finders no less :(

Lundy and Vickster are a class act who never flamed a family of newbies (our sig stamp was still carved out of wood back then!! )
Re: is it time?
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #972019 by Una Marlee Sue
Feb 24, 2019 7:51am
Thread Board
DO NOT force you thoughts and opinions on others.

Is that your opinion or your thoughts? Either way you post does come off as forceful & opinionated. Unless you meant for it to be ironic.

The boards would be empty if no one posted their thoughts or opinions. The original poster ended their post with:

I do agree that there are fantastic works of art created by those who like LTCs but in my opinion, they are not the same as letterboxing.

That sincere opinion gave rise to thoughtful responses, most meaning to show the value they feel LTC's (which I do not participate in) contribute to letterboxing. Opinions can be challenged and changed with thoughtful discourse. It's very healthy to challenge your own opinions from time to time, lest we become stale & stilted. And you most likely will not change anyone's opinion when you tell someone they do not have the right to hold it in the first place.

Unless of I could be way off here if you were just championing thoughtless posts . . .
Re: is it time?
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #972121 by Quarry
Feb 26, 2019 11:10am
Thread Board
I agree with you right here, if I was returning snark with snark, I should have changed from an alias to my trail name (dingus dufus) to stand by my comments. That was not a fair thing for me to do.
Re: premium membership
Reply to: #973224 by Midge
Mar 24, 2019 10:02am
Thread Board
Absolutely!!!
10ยข a day!
Re: From Mass
Reply to: #973382 by Midge
Mar 26, 2019 12:34pm
Thread Board
Chelmsford! (we get out to the Worcester area quite often!!
Re: The purpose of a logbook
Reply to: #973362 by MissMoon
Mar 26, 2019 12:51pm
Thread Board
I don't think it's not a real letterbox if there's no logbook but I would hate to see them disappear from the hobby just because we can log online.

Triple negatives make me dizzy!

;)
Re: Tick season...
Reply to: #973602 by fleetwood7
Apr 1, 2019 11:09am
Thread Board
according to grumpy grinch, and I concur, the best remedy is to have your honey do a tick check when you get home

Now that makes more sense! I was having my tick do a honey check when I got home!
Re: Re:
Reply to: #973814 by Maude
Apr 5, 2019 9:26am
Thread Board
It seems that another item would confirm that it's OK to take things from the box, including the stamp. Then the box is dead.

Yes! We don't want to further confuse the apparently easily confuzzled folks from the other scavenger hunt sport.
Re: Leaving boxes uncovered
Reply to: #973863 by Sirius Star Gazer
Apr 7, 2019 7:23am
Thread Board
I've always found that folks that make the effort to solve a box with a mystery clue also always make the effort to be stealthy while searching & they rehide it well after.
Re: Leaving boxes uncovered
Reply to: #973878 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 7, 2019 8:34am
Thread Board
I'd still say shoot a letter to the last finder, but at least be polite about it.

Extra polite since lots of people don't log their finds and you might insult a boxer who hid everything correctly, logged the finds and then a "non logger" came by afterwards and didn't properly rehide the boxes.
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974214 by Public Hand
Apr 15, 2019 11:56pm
Thread Board
the man who started it in England is now in his 90s and in a pensioner's home

He might be more like 190 years old. I think letterboxing began in 1854.
Reply to: #974238 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 2:33pm
Thread Board
Sorry, missed your reference in the previous posts.
Reply to: #974385 by MissMoon
Apr 20, 2019 3:16pm
Thread Board
Does that mean that if you plant a 15 box series you're going to put a logbook in all 15 boxes??

It was suggested that boxes without logbooks be identified with an icon for the purists to avoid. Conversly, should series with a logbook in every box be identified so that the sane can avoid them?