A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read dingus dufus Posts

Re: The New Hampshire Tour Bus.....
Board: State: New Hampshire
Reply to: #94750 by Team New Hampshire
Jun 29, 2007 12:37pm
Thread Board
We found the box! It was a beautiful day and the saw mill was great. We will replant by the end of the weekend.
Thanks!
Dingus Dufus
Orient Express Letterboxes and more
Board: State: Maine
May 30, 2008 5:13am
Thread Board
Hi,
We are looking for information about letterboxes planted by The Orient Express(Tom Cooch) in and around Arcadia National way back between 1998 and 2000. Do these boxes still exist? We would like to find a little bit of history during our summer trip and expand our Maine letterboxing outings beyond Portland and areas south. MaineKokopellian has been kind to offer help and possible get together to find boxes along the way to Bar Harbor. Also, we are open to any suggestions for other boxes in the Bar Harbor, Rockland, or Port Clyde areas. We love a great view or unique or historic spot. Thanks for any help.

Dingus & Dufus
smelling bacon
Apr 9, 2009 1:08pm
Thread Board
An enigma wrapped in Bacon. Perfect for our letterboxing diets.
Re: smelling bacon
Reply to: #374100 by Investigator FrancisBacon
Apr 11, 2009 10:48am
Thread Board
Maple , hickory, or cajun flavored bacon, you seem to have a luxuriant palete.
Re: Found same HH twice - now what?
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #503270 by Rosmarinus
Apr 4, 2010 6:34pm
Thread Board
I know AQ will count a HH you find more than once only one time. In the real world, if you happened to pick up up the same hitch hiker (person) thumbing two different occations on two different roads and then brought the person to two different drop off spots, would you not have performed two unique and distinctly seperate hitch hiker related events? You could never say that you picked up that person only once.
Re: Someone's Missing Stamp?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #506773 by JerseyTrailblazers
Apr 15, 2010 6:59pm
Thread Board
Now wait a minute! Okay, this guy is a real zero. That's true. Think back to when you were freshmen. Boon, you had a face like a pepperoni pizza, right? And Stork here. Everybody thought that Stork was brain damaged. I myself was so obnoxious the seniors beat me up once a week. So this guy is a total loser? Let me tell you the story of another loser.~

We all had to start somewhere too!
Boston Globe Article
Board: Region: Northeast
Jul 10, 2010 4:28am
Thread Board
Great Boston Globe article on letterboxing today. An accurate depiction of the sport. A small concern in the phasing of the boxing process though.

"When a letterbox is located, its contents — a logbook and customized stamp, typically — are removed. The box’s signature stamp is imprinted in the visitor’s logbook, making a permanent record of the find. The boxer then stamps his or her own insignia into the logbook, sometimes adding a personal note as well. The process takes only a few minutes, after which the box is restored to its hiding place and all traces of the visit erased as much as possible. Secrecy is prized, littering and vandalism strongly disapproved of."

Wish it didn't use the word "removed"
Wish it said the box AND ITS CONTENTS are restored!
Boston Globe Article
Board: Region: Northeast
Jul 10, 2010 5:14am
Thread Board
Re: Why hide your finds?
Reply to: #620181 by Boots Tex
Jul 10, 2011 9:37pm
Thread Board
Surfing P/F logs is certainly a great way to glean info on mystery boxes, but boxers should never log a mystery box on the same date they find a regular box.

MookyDipper has graciously lent his box in Ecuador

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=22459

as a "find" for us on several occasions on the same day we've planted a mystery box. Purposely listing a mystery on the same date you were somewhere else entirely can help cover your tracks.
Re: Who Found the Mapsurfer Quatrains?
Reply to: #624485 by Honeybearclan
Jul 25, 2011 6:12am
Thread Board
A believe the Merlin's Pre-Columbian Mysteries box has been found at least two times, August of 1999 and again in 2001 beyond that I can't say.
Re: Long Series
Reply to: #647817 by tiggermama
Oct 17, 2011 6:00am
Thread Board
I'll be looking forward to your boxes. I drive RT 89 up to Winooski at least once a month.
How about some mystery boxes in MA!
Board: State: Massachusetts
Nov 13, 2011 1:50pm
Thread Board
One mystery letterbox planted in MA since mid May .

Really?

Maybe the page for the letterbox should read "click here for the directions" instead of "click here for the clue'

To borrow from Mark Twain, is Letterboxing becoming a good walk spoiled by stamping?

(OK. I;m just trying to prod,not to preach)

Spoken like a true Dingus
Re: How about some mystery boxes in MA!
Reply to: #654864 by System
Nov 13, 2011 4:22pm
Thread Board
My AQ based search did not show you're very interesting mystery box in MA! I will have to get on that right away.
Reply to: #654915 by Chunna
Nov 14, 2011 4:35am
Thread Board
I see the catalog of great mystery boxes on the Cape that require our attention (and our A game). I was more commenting on the large volume of boxes recently planted yet such a small percentage of head scratchers. The ratio seems to be shifting over the years.
Reply to: #654904 by Rocklun
Nov 14, 2011 4:40am
Thread Board
Rocklun,

Your mystery box doesn't pop up on a MA mystery search. But now I will get right on it. Thanks.
Reply to: #655115 by JESSS
Nov 14, 2011 8:05pm
Thread Board
I thought I was seeing all the mystery boxes the state had to offer as well. Oh Ryan.......
Re: Believe It Or Not....
Reply to: #679216 by MissMoon
Feb 28, 2012 1:00pm
Thread Board
Apologizing now for our newbie sins. We gave the "Al Jolson" treatment to every stamp encountered.
Re: No matter how hard i try...i will NEVER be a awesome carver
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #683525 by deniserows
Mar 14, 2012 1:36pm
Thread Board
Some can carve and some can write. A few are good at both. Fewer still put em together so well that their box is a vivid reminder you why you pick ticks off in the pouring rain, with the waterlogged family waiting in the car, bushwhacking to who knows where, for a chance to see if you were right.
Re: Trail logbooks. Sit and read? Stamp and go? What?
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #684414 by deniserows
Mar 17, 2012 8:12am
Thread Board
In MA, reading the whole log is a must. Some of the planters, and some of the finders, leave a little extra in those pages.
Re: Trail logbooks. Sit and read? Stamp and go? What?
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #684414 by deniserows
Mar 17, 2012 8:22am
Thread Board
Plus, in the east there are a number of 1998-2000 era boxes with the original logbooks still present. Its pretty cool to sit and read comments by pioneers in letterboxing Erik Davis, Jay Drew, Randy Hall, Tom Cooch, Betsey and Bommie Sennott, Nisa and others. Its like a little boxing history lesson.
Re: Poison Ivy
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #687145 by carry on grandma
Mar 27, 2012 8:22am
Thread Board
Mechanic's hand soap works great to remove the poison ivy oil from your skin. Buy the small tub of the soap and keep that and a rag in the trunk. It doesn't require water and you can use it on any part of your skin exposed to the plant. I was a landscaper for too many years in a past life. You could walk right through the poison ivy just as long as you wiped down in a reasonable amount of time. Just watch out for the oil on your shoes, clothes, and the pooch. Dogs are immune but you can pat your way to some itchy fingers!
Re: Planning a Visit
Board: State: Vermont
Reply to: #687205 by BBStacker
Mar 27, 2012 2:39pm
Thread Board
The first ever hand carved stamp letterbox planted in North America is located in VT.

http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxView.php?boxnum=9260&boxname=Prayer_Rock

many boxers make the pilgrimage
Re: Downtime Schedule
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #687391 by Green Tortuga
Mar 28, 2012 10:51am
Thread Board
Just go old school LbNA style for a few days and pick up some of the earliest boxes in your area that you've been meaning to get that never transitioned over to Atlasquest by age or choice.
Re: New icon for "No Dogs Allowed"?
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #687704 by Mini Mouse
Mar 29, 2012 12:46pm
Thread Board
We usually will try to google the location or even call the town hall to check ahead of showing up if it is a trek to the box
Re: Anybody remember
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #688080 by Zen Hunter
Mar 31, 2012 1:41am
Thread Board
Here is the video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3349024452903984744&ei=sFH4SKiCIJXeqAO3l5gC&q=Letterbox%2Bgathering%2B&hl=en

A little slice of boxing history. You can usually find historical info about letterboxing at Mark & Sue Pepe's website. Mark is as close to an official letterbox historian as there is and is always helpful and generous with his time.

Here is their website

http://pineconeboxing.jigsy.com/

Here is their history site

http://www.weliveandbreathe.com/history.htm

Dingus & Dufus
Re: Anybody remember
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #688095 by dingus dufus
Mar 31, 2012 9:19am
Thread Board
Re: Anticipation...
Reply to: #688209 by mudflinginfools
Mar 31, 2012 11:14am
Thread Board
How do you make a fool wait?
Re: I'm starting to dislike Blue Diamonds
Reply to: #688517 by BBStacker
Apr 1, 2012 7:11pm
Thread Board
Boxes should be rated like hotels are rated. If you are a five star hotel you remain a five star hotel regardless if another five star hotel opens up next door.

According to the voting system my votes don't really count anyways. I rarely vote on a box unless it rates a five. Not voting a few two's is held against me.

A system that somehow tallies finder's favorites that also weighted that vote by total number of finds by finder might work better.
Reply to: #689341 by X Marks The Spot
Apr 4, 2012 7:14am
Thread Board
Might be a little extreme but they would be a sweet relief from "directions" based letterboxes. Not even sure why there called clues anymore.
Reply to: #689360 by Lundy and Vickster
Apr 4, 2012 6:58pm
Thread Board
But, I think a higher percentage of the early boxes had a least some wrinkle in the clues.