A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: SMP
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #974237 by Quarry
Apr 16, 2019 4:48pm
Thread Board
Like Saturday. Saturday would be good. :)
Boxes on a route?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 16, 2019 4:49pm
Thread Board
Can someone advise me or point me to a tutorial on how to bring up boxes on a specific route?
Eagles, eagles, eagles! (and you can watch)
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Apr 16, 2019 5:05pm
Thread Board
From USA Today:

The two males, Valor I and Valor II, assist the female, Starr, "in nest maintenance, incubation and raising the young" in Illinois near the Mississippi River, according to the Stewards of the Upper Mississippi River Refuge.

The family is nontraditional, but established after a history of death and drama.

They eagles have been documented as nesting together since 2017. Starr laid her first eggs in September 2018 with support of the two males. Both eggs hatched, and one of the eaglets successfully fledged, or left the nest. The other fledgling died from unknown causes.

The history of how these birds became a feathered family is a soap opera of sorts.

Here's a fun fact — the two dads were a family unit first. Because before there was Starr, there was the female Hope. But Hope was injured by other birds in March 2017 and never returned to the nest. That just left Valor I and Valor II, who had shared a nest with Hope.

LINK TO LIVE CAMERA!
Re: SMP
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #974247 by karmakat
Apr 16, 2019 5:09pm
Thread Board
there will be brownies.
Re: Boxes on a route?
Reply to: #974248 by Puddledunk
Apr 16, 2019 5:14pm
Thread Board
Check out Trip planner after going to Toolbox on the toolbar at the top of this page.
Apr 16, 2019 5:57pm
Thread Board
If it is a specific highway, you can go to simple search and use the trip search.
Re: Creative ways to hide Night boxes at an event
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 16, 2019 6:35pm
Thread Board
Using reflective tape or paint, then hide them in trees as well as on the ground.
Last call - The Amazing Race pool - race starts April 17!!!
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #974027 by KO
Apr 16, 2019 6:41pm
Thread Board
For anyone interested in joining the Amazing Race pool, you must be signed up & have your team picks to me in less than 24 hours.

Apr 16, 2019 8:14pm
Thread Board
The easiest way for me has always been to do searches of the towns I will be passing through or near. You can expand the miles out from the town. Or not. This had always worked well for me. I’ve never cared for the trip planner. But that’s just me.
Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Reply to: #974207 by Nature Hikers
Apr 16, 2019 9:46pm
Thread Board
We have a 16 box series a mere two hours outside of London by train......I'm just sayin'
Re: Happy AQ day to PumpkinSeedsLenore
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #974028 by carry on grandma
Apr 16, 2019 10:06pm
Thread Board
Happy AQ Day! Wish you many fun letterboxing adventures😊
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974199 by Public Hand
Apr 17, 2019 12:25am
Thread Board
We found zero boxes close to the road, most of them are planted around the Tors (of which there are a lot) and rock formations.

If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) tend to get the majority of boxes. Go to a tor miles from the nearest road and you likely won't find many boxes. So... they aren't next to roads, but they aren't that far away from them either which might not make them qualified drive-bys, but plenty of strolls!

Although there are quite a number planted inside of bars, restaurants, shops and camping businesses

Those don't count towards official counts or for membership into the 100 Club. Some people probably DO count them, but officially, they aren't supposed to count. (Kind of like what happens with event boxes here.)

Not entirely but the preponderance of those we found were store bought.

I found a large number of custom-made stamps which seemed to be the standard, but maybe you mistook some of them as store-bought stamps? Hand-carved stamps.... I can't remember actually finding any hand-carved stamps off the top of my head, but if there were any, the numbers were definitely very low. I rather liked the custom-made stamps, though. A lot of them were very detailed, interesting and were specially designed for where they were planted. Very cool.

The people we talked to seemed to like finding hand-carved stamps but just didn't want to make them. Which happens a lot here too. =)

-- Ryan
Re: Eagles, eagles, eagles! (and you can watch)
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #974249 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 17, 2019 2:35am
Thread Board
Did Hope survive? Of she did not return to the nest, where did she go? I am vested now. Do not leave me hanging! Also, what other kinds of birds injure eagles?
Re: Creative ways to hide Night boxes at an event
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 17, 2019 4:02am
Thread Board
We've used glow sticks in peanut butter jars with the stamps.
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #974243 by CoffeeSpoons
Apr 17, 2019 4:31am
Thread Board
I thought that the prize was that the letterboxing community as a whole benefits from all the additional plants we now have to find! The patch and/or path tag are a fun marker of the event. Buying them in quantity is expensive - glad to contribute.

I'm at 54 permanent traditional boxes planted since 11/1. Thanks to Super Hedge Hoggie and crew for inspiring us all to get out there and plant.
Reply to: #974261 by paper trail
Apr 17, 2019 5:01am
Thread Board
Thank you, Paper Trail, for saying what I was thinking. This challenge has encouraged me to clear my desk of 88 stamps and logbooks that have been sitting around for years. Now the fun begins as I get to begin carving guilt free again.

I, too, am happy to pay that very small fee.
Apr 17, 2019 5:20am
Thread Board
Go to the Trip Planner under the Toolbox pulldown menu. There are dozens of pre-defined routes available, mostly along major roads. If you want to create your own you can. I just recently created a trip from Arlington, Tx to Newport, RI for a road trip this summer. After inputting the start and end points and a trip name you can add features and adjust the route on a map that comes up of your route. After it looks the way you want save the route. AQ chews on it for a while and then you have a route! After that you can search for letterboxes along the route (within 5 miles of the route is the default). I take the search results and download them to my GPS as a .gpx file but that is a whole 'nother tutorial.
Apr 17, 2019 5:27am
Thread Board
I am happy to have more stamps to seek. There are not a lot of people in my area, yet I can occasionally travel with my husband when he goes out of town to work where there are more boxes planted.

I wonder if we will be told how many boxes total were planted for the challenge. That might be an interesting number!
Reply to: #974262 by Janila
Apr 17, 2019 5:30am
Thread Board
Whoa! Maybe you could call the Power Plant Challenge the Spring Cleaning Planting Challenge. 😉

I imagine that it is a good feeling to get them all out into the wild and out of your home.
Re: "My Page" Suggestion
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #973950 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 17, 2019 6:28am
Thread Board
Any chance we could have an option to hide our plants on the "Newest Letterboxes" section of the "My Page" page?

It's been added! By default, people will still see their plants (people sometimes freak out when they don't see their plants thinking nobody can see it), but there's now an option for the widget to change the default.

Happy trails!

-- Ryan
Apr 17, 2019 7:12am
Thread Board
See I kinda agree with RIClimber and Coffeespoons. The prize is that we all get more boxes. But I've planted 142 boxes, driven over 20 hours to plant in places where they will actually be found, and it's a considerable cost for plastic, bags, and pink stuff. So I am definitely not spending $3 more :)
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #972157 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 7:35am
Thread Board
when i go to print a clue i use the single-column layout. only now it is not switching to single-column, stays on double.

Is this still happening? If so, what browser are you using?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974268 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 7:51am
Thread Board
yes it is still happening.
using google chrome. and it is up to date.

smile
Re: Spoiler tags?
Reply to: #969267 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:02am
Thread Board
I'll get around to fixing the other pages... eventually. =)

Done!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974269 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 8:15am
Thread Board
using google chrome. and it is up to date.

I'm still having trouble reproducing the problem. What kind of device are you using and exactly what version of Chrome are you using? (I'm currently testing with version 73.0 and it seems to work fine.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974271 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:26am
Thread Board
my device is a desktop. have not tried it on my laptop or phone. i can do that tomorrow and see if problem is same.

version 73.0.3683.103 (official build) (64-bit)

smile
Re: Spoiler tags?
Reply to: #974270 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:27am
Thread Board
Yay! Thanks, you da man.
Reply to: #974272 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 8:35am
Thread Board
I'm not sure what to tell you. It's like you're describing my own system and I still can't recreate the problem that you're describing. You're sure you hit the "update page" button after changing to the single-column page layout?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974267 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 17, 2019 8:51am
Thread Board
Others get the "Prize" of more boxes to find. I get the "Prize" of 100+ more boxes to maintain. I'm not in it for the "Prize" - I just want to beat PiggyJaunt!!
Reply to: #974274 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 9:17am
Thread Board
oh geezum!
has that button always been there and i just never saw it?
worked like a charm!
and here i made you work this morning for my dumbness. :(

on another note.
used to be if i was going to go boxing with a friend i could look at their logbook and see a green checkmark next to boxes that we had found in common. are you planning on replacing that feature?

smile