Board: State: North Carolina
Apr 16, 2019 10:36am
Thread Board
Re: Mooresville Meetup
Reply to: #974230 by RDHG
Apr 16, 2019 11:46am
Thread Board
Oh shoot! We'll be in Boston for my nephew's graduation that weekend! Happy hunting! We'll have to head up your way another time and check out all the new boxes. We really appreciate you taking the time to carve, plan and plant all these new boxes. You're awesome! :)
Re: SMP
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #974034 by Eidolon
Apr 16, 2019 11:52am
Thread Board
Brother man!
Luckily I still have all of that inside my head. It might be a bit shuffled at this point but it's in there LOL
Re: This Day in History is Wrong
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #974227 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 16, 2019 11:53am
Thread Board
I am a VT grad and had classes in the building where the worst of the shooting occurred albeit 10 yrs prior to it. Our daughter is up there now and ran/walked in the 3.2 remembrance race on Saturday along with 14,500 other VT strong. Virginia Tech is an awesome community and I hate that the shooting is forever associated with the campus. Sad day for everyone and extra hugs to you and the families of those you knew.
Reply to: #974034 by Eidolon
Apr 16, 2019 11:54am
Thread Board
As in ....I could not tell you if the Clues still work but I know where the boxes are.
Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974144 by Grrly Girl
Apr 16, 2019 12:42pm
Thread Board
We are members of the Dartmoor Letterboxing 100 Club, which publishes the catalogue, etc. However, we haven't been active since moving to the north of Scotland 13 years ago.

If you're planning a trip, it's well worth getting in touch for a copy of the latest catalogue and the updates which have been published since. If it's anything like the active letterboxing scene that we knew in the past, there are dozens of new boxes, and deleted boxes, with every fortnightly update.
Re: Trans Boxers?
Board: LGTBQ Group
Reply to: #974205 by Quarry
Apr 16, 2019 12:46pm
Thread Board
I haven't been to Georgia yet.

The only southern state I have letterboxed in is Louisiana but as HikerGuyEd. Some restaurant in New Orleans; they had awesome escargot!!
Reply to: #974234 by T REX
Apr 16, 2019 1:21pm
Thread Board
Come hike with us sometime!
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974221 by dingus dufus
Apr 16, 2019 1:25pm
Thread Board
I was referring to Godfrey, also known as Good, who's the man who negotiated with the park service in Dartmoor to allow for letterboxing.
Reply to: #974221 by dingus dufus
Apr 16, 2019 1:34pm
Thread Board
He might be more like 190 years old. I think letterboxing began in 1854.

Those Brits *are* tough folk. :)
Reply to: #974238 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 1:49pm
Thread Board
God* curse you autocorrect!
Reply to: #974238 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 2:33pm
Thread Board
Sorry, missed your reference in the previous posts.
Reply to: #974241 by dingus dufus
Apr 16, 2019 2:40pm
Thread Board
No harm, no foul......Lord help me if I ever get THAT sensitive!!!
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #974213 by RIclimber
Apr 16, 2019 3:14pm
Thread Board
I have 109 permanent traditional boxes planted since November 1.

I don’t know if I want to pay for a path tag, either, to be honest. It’s exciting when it’s a prize, but I’ve won the opportunity to buy stuff many times. (In fact, I have several emails asking me to buy stuff in my gmail inbox as we speak!) Do we also have to pay for the patches?
Re: Mooresville Meetup
Reply to: #974231 by Helms' Flying Adventure
Apr 16, 2019 3:50pm
Thread Board
Ooh, that will be a nice trip. Whenever you get up here, send me a message if you would like. It would be fun to meet up for a bit. 😊
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #973383 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 16, 2019 4:03pm
Thread Board
I just saw this. Aw, do not continue the challenge. (My vote.) If you want to keep it going, maybe make a new challenge with a different name -- maybe even different goals. That was it will not cheapen the success of earning the prizes for those who worked so hard planting for this challenge. 😊
Reply to: #974240 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 4:16pm
Thread Board
God* curse you autocorrect!

We already knew it was really God. Which of course explains the longevity as well.
Reply to: #974237 by Quarry
Apr 16, 2019 4:48pm
Thread Board
Like Saturday. Saturday would be good. :)
Boxes on a route?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 16, 2019 4:49pm
Thread Board
Can someone advise me or point me to a tutorial on how to bring up boxes on a specific route?
Eagles, eagles, eagles! (and you can watch)
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Apr 16, 2019 5:05pm
Thread Board
From USA Today:

The two males, Valor I and Valor II, assist the female, Starr, "in nest maintenance, incubation and raising the young" in Illinois near the Mississippi River, according to the Stewards of the Upper Mississippi River Refuge.

The family is nontraditional, but established after a history of death and drama.

They eagles have been documented as nesting together since 2017. Starr laid her first eggs in September 2018 with support of the two males. Both eggs hatched, and one of the eaglets successfully fledged, or left the nest. The other fledgling died from unknown causes.

The history of how these birds became a feathered family is a soap opera of sorts.

Here's a fun fact — the two dads were a family unit first. Because before there was Starr, there was the female Hope. But Hope was injured by other birds in March 2017 and never returned to the nest. That just left Valor I and Valor II, who had shared a nest with Hope.

LINK TO LIVE CAMERA!
Reply to: #974247 by karmakat
Apr 16, 2019 5:09pm
Thread Board
there will be brownies.
Re: Boxes on a route?
Reply to: #974248 by Puddledunk
Apr 16, 2019 5:14pm
Thread Board
Check out Trip planner after going to Toolbox on the toolbar at the top of this page.
Apr 16, 2019 5:57pm
Thread Board
If it is a specific highway, you can go to simple search and use the trip search.
Re: Creative ways to hide Night boxes at an event
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 16, 2019 6:35pm
Thread Board
Using reflective tape or paint, then hide them in trees as well as on the ground.
Last call - The Amazing Race pool - race starts April 17!!!
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #974027 by KO
Apr 16, 2019 6:41pm
Thread Board
For anyone interested in joining the Amazing Race pool, you must be signed up & have your team picks to me in less than 24 hours.

Apr 16, 2019 8:14pm
Thread Board
The easiest way for me has always been to do searches of the towns I will be passing through or near. You can expand the miles out from the town. Or not. This had always worked well for me. I’ve never cared for the trip planner. But that’s just me.
Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Reply to: #974207 by Nature Hikers
Apr 16, 2019 9:46pm
Thread Board
We have a 16 box series a mere two hours outside of London by train......I'm just sayin'
Re: Happy AQ day to PumpkinSeedsLenore
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #974028 by carry on grandma
Apr 16, 2019 10:06pm
Thread Board
Happy AQ Day! Wish you many fun letterboxing adventures😊
Reply to: #974199 by Public Hand
Apr 17, 2019 12:25am
Thread Board
We found zero boxes close to the road, most of them are planted around the Tors (of which there are a lot) and rock formations.

If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) tend to get the majority of boxes. Go to a tor miles from the nearest road and you likely won't find many boxes. So... they aren't next to roads, but they aren't that far away from them either which might not make them qualified drive-bys, but plenty of strolls!

Although there are quite a number planted inside of bars, restaurants, shops and camping businesses

Those don't count towards official counts or for membership into the 100 Club. Some people probably DO count them, but officially, they aren't supposed to count. (Kind of like what happens with event boxes here.)

Not entirely but the preponderance of those we found were store bought.

I found a large number of custom-made stamps which seemed to be the standard, but maybe you mistook some of them as store-bought stamps? Hand-carved stamps.... I can't remember actually finding any hand-carved stamps off the top of my head, but if there were any, the numbers were definitely very low. I rather liked the custom-made stamps, though. A lot of them were very detailed, interesting and were specially designed for where they were planted. Very cool.

The people we talked to seemed to like finding hand-carved stamps but just didn't want to make them. Which happens a lot here too. =)

-- Ryan
Re: Eagles, eagles, eagles! (and you can watch)
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #974249 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 17, 2019 2:35am
Thread Board
Did Hope survive? Of she did not return to the nest, where did she go? I am vested now. Do not leave me hanging! Also, what other kinds of birds injure eagles?