A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Creative ways to hide Night boxes at an event
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 16, 2019 12:59am
Thread Board
There are different ideas in night boxing. One fun one is to make the hunt scary. Don't follow a trail but rather bushwhack through the woods from start to finish. Plant some rubber snakes, rats and spiders along the route, including hanging from branches. Maybe have motion detectors that start things making noise.
Install a burglar alarm in the lid of the box, preferably one that sounds like a rattlesnake.
Reply to: #974223 by Kirbert
Apr 16, 2019 5:05am
Thread Board
Install a burglar alarm in the lid of the box, preferably one that sounds like a rattlesnake.

Nope, I would have a heart attack! One box I will never go after!
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 16, 2019 6:15am
Thread Board
Hidden in an open field in pouches with reflective tape, everyone uses flashlights. Stagger them out in groups of 4 onto the field with a very a visual map of clues. This is if you're looking for inexpensive and easy way of doing it.
Re: Trans Boxers?
Board: LGTBQ Group
Reply to: #974220 by Astrophel
Apr 16, 2019 6:48am
Thread Board
If you want a local to hike with let me know. Also look into Arabia and Panola mountains, I hear they are really great too.
This Day in History is Wrong
Board: Yakking It Up
Apr 16, 2019 7:13am
Thread Board
Sadly, as someone who is from Blacksburg and had people they knew die in the shootings, the Virginia Tech Massacre is no longer the worst shooting in the history of the US. This should be changed on the history fact.
Re: This Day in History is Wrong
Reply to: #974227 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 16, 2019 8:03am
Thread Board
Looks like someone has changed it.

TG
Reply to: #974228 by Trekkie Gal
Apr 16, 2019 10:08am
Thread Board
Let’s hope we never have to update that “record” again
Mooresville Meetup
Board: State: North Carolina
Apr 16, 2019 10:36am
Thread Board
Re: Mooresville Meetup
Reply to: #974230 by RDHG
Apr 16, 2019 11:46am
Thread Board
Oh shoot! We'll be in Boston for my nephew's graduation that weekend! Happy hunting! We'll have to head up your way another time and check out all the new boxes. We really appreciate you taking the time to carve, plan and plant all these new boxes. You're awesome! :)
Re: SMP
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #974034 by Eidolon
Apr 16, 2019 11:52am
Thread Board
Brother man!
Luckily I still have all of that inside my head. It might be a bit shuffled at this point but it's in there LOL
Reply to: #974227 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 16, 2019 11:53am
Thread Board
I am a VT grad and had classes in the building where the worst of the shooting occurred albeit 10 yrs prior to it. Our daughter is up there now and ran/walked in the 3.2 remembrance race on Saturday along with 14,500 other VT strong. Virginia Tech is an awesome community and I hate that the shooting is forever associated with the campus. Sad day for everyone and extra hugs to you and the families of those you knew.
Reply to: #974034 by Eidolon
Apr 16, 2019 11:54am
Thread Board
As in ....I could not tell you if the Clues still work but I know where the boxes are.
Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Reply to: #974144 by Grrly Girl
Apr 16, 2019 12:42pm
Thread Board
We are members of the Dartmoor Letterboxing 100 Club, which publishes the catalogue, etc. However, we haven't been active since moving to the north of Scotland 13 years ago.

If you're planning a trip, it's well worth getting in touch for a copy of the latest catalogue and the updates which have been published since. If it's anything like the active letterboxing scene that we knew in the past, there are dozens of new boxes, and deleted boxes, with every fortnightly update.
Re: Trans Boxers?
Board: LGTBQ Group
Reply to: #974205 by Quarry
Apr 16, 2019 12:46pm
Thread Board
I haven't been to Georgia yet.

The only southern state I have letterboxed in is Louisiana but as HikerGuyEd. Some restaurant in New Orleans; they had awesome escargot!!
Reply to: #974234 by T REX
Apr 16, 2019 1:21pm
Thread Board
Come hike with us sometime!
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974221 by dingus dufus
Apr 16, 2019 1:25pm
Thread Board
I was referring to Godfrey, also known as Good, who's the man who negotiated with the park service in Dartmoor to allow for letterboxing.
Reply to: #974221 by dingus dufus
Apr 16, 2019 1:34pm
Thread Board
He might be more like 190 years old. I think letterboxing began in 1854.

Those Brits *are* tough folk. :)
Reply to: #974238 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 1:49pm
Thread Board
God* curse you autocorrect!
Reply to: #974238 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 2:33pm
Thread Board
Sorry, missed your reference in the previous posts.
Reply to: #974241 by dingus dufus
Apr 16, 2019 2:40pm
Thread Board
No harm, no foul......Lord help me if I ever get THAT sensitive!!!
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #974213 by RIclimber
Apr 16, 2019 3:14pm
Thread Board
I have 109 permanent traditional boxes planted since November 1.

I don’t know if I want to pay for a path tag, either, to be honest. It’s exciting when it’s a prize, but I’ve won the opportunity to buy stuff many times. (In fact, I have several emails asking me to buy stuff in my gmail inbox as we speak!) Do we also have to pay for the patches?
Re: Mooresville Meetup
Reply to: #974231 by Helms' Flying Adventure
Apr 16, 2019 3:50pm
Thread Board
Ooh, that will be a nice trip. Whenever you get up here, send me a message if you would like. It would be fun to meet up for a bit. 😊
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #973383 by Sudoku Crazy
Apr 16, 2019 4:03pm
Thread Board
I just saw this. Aw, do not continue the challenge. (My vote.) If you want to keep it going, maybe make a new challenge with a different name -- maybe even different goals. That was it will not cheapen the success of earning the prizes for those who worked so hard planting for this challenge. 😊
Reply to: #974240 by Public Hand
Apr 16, 2019 4:16pm
Thread Board
God* curse you autocorrect!

We already knew it was really God. Which of course explains the longevity as well.
Reply to: #974237 by Quarry
Apr 16, 2019 4:48pm
Thread Board
Like Saturday. Saturday would be good. :)
Boxes on a route?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 16, 2019 4:49pm
Thread Board
Can someone advise me or point me to a tutorial on how to bring up boxes on a specific route?
Eagles, eagles, eagles! (and you can watch)
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Apr 16, 2019 5:05pm
Thread Board
From USA Today:

The two males, Valor I and Valor II, assist the female, Starr, "in nest maintenance, incubation and raising the young" in Illinois near the Mississippi River, according to the Stewards of the Upper Mississippi River Refuge.

The family is nontraditional, but established after a history of death and drama.

They eagles have been documented as nesting together since 2017. Starr laid her first eggs in September 2018 with support of the two males. Both eggs hatched, and one of the eaglets successfully fledged, or left the nest. The other fledgling died from unknown causes.

The history of how these birds became a feathered family is a soap opera of sorts.

Here's a fun fact — the two dads were a family unit first. Because before there was Starr, there was the female Hope. But Hope was injured by other birds in March 2017 and never returned to the nest. That just left Valor I and Valor II, who had shared a nest with Hope.

LINK TO LIVE CAMERA!
Reply to: #974247 by karmakat
Apr 16, 2019 5:09pm
Thread Board
there will be brownies.
Re: Boxes on a route?
Reply to: #974248 by Puddledunk
Apr 16, 2019 5:14pm
Thread Board
Check out Trip planner after going to Toolbox on the toolbar at the top of this page.
Re: Boxes on a route?
Reply to: #974248 by Puddledunk
Apr 16, 2019 5:57pm
Thread Board
If it is a specific highway, you can go to simple search and use the trip search.