More Search Options...
[Hobby Box Group]
[Read Board]

Movie Moments

|← First ← Previous
Start New Thread
Simple | Summaries | Expanded

Msg: 964799
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: The Haunting (1963)
Author: Captain Slick KittyProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Sep 2, 2018 10:32 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
"Some houses are just born evil."

The Haunting, a movie remade several times and as recent as 1999, is a black and white film about a group of four individuals come to Hill House to determine if the supernatural does exist.

There is Dr. Markway, who is in charge of the experiment, having done the research of the house and is familiar with it's evil past.

There is Theo, just Theo, an ESP, who can read others quiet well but oddly enough can't read the house.

There is Luke, who stands to inherit the house and is there to ensure no inappropriateness goes on.

And then there is Eleanor Lance, a inverted but highly emotional recluse determined to enjoy "this vacation". Having cared for her invalid mother for the last 11 years, she is extremely melodramatic about her lot in life, especially when it comes to the care she provided her mother.

Oddly enough, Eleanor shares a similar life pattern with a previous owner of the house. As the house begins to affect each of them, it is Eleanor who seems to be seduced by the house. Does the house really want her? Or is she having a nervous breakdown? Having said more than enough, on to my Kitty Paws

One Kitty Paw for the pace of suspense this film sets.
One Kitty Paw for it's likeable characters. Granted, Eleanor's emotional roller coaster occasionally got on my nerves, I was still rooting for all of them to survive.
One Kitty Paw for the different intense moments and angles. The wall scene, for example. The part where Eleanor was looking for Ms. Markway, for another.
And a half a Kitty Paw for no blood, no gore, no adult related scenes.

But if I were to be honest, I would say, I struggled with this film. I believe I come a "gotta get the audience to jump" generation. My best explanation of this is last Friday. Last Friday I put on The Conjuring for our foreign exchange student. Now, I am surprised I have not worn down my DVD having watched it so many times. I put it on for background noise. I put it on for the dogs. I put it on when I am not feeling well. And even though I know this movie by heart, there are two moments that still make me jump. This movie scared the crap out of our foreign exchange student. He may never watch another scary movie again. IDK. Point is, I really wished this movie had this even a smidgen of this kind of effects.

But despite this, at 3.5 stars, I do recommend it. So, if you are in the mood for smooth, black and white suspenseful movie, turn off the 2018 cellphone, find the Jiffy Pop in the back of the cabinet and settle in.

csk
Msg: 964804
Subject: Re: The Haunting (1963)
Author: detectiveProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Sep 3, 2018 5:00 AM
P-22F-621M-28
Reply to: Msg 964799 by Captain Slick Kitty
I think I’m from the same generation but I was raised to watch and critique movies by a member of the previous. I’m getting ready to show this to my 13 year old. She is frightened of the dark outside and a few years ago made me turn off a low grade version of Jane Eyre because of spooky laughter. However, now that she can stay home alone she has been watching Stranger Things and Jaws without batting an eye. I’m afraid the moment to scare this member of the next generation with The Haunting may have passed!

(PS- I’m glad you liked the wall scene!!)
Msg: 964807
Author: PiggyJauntProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Sep 3, 2018 6:52 AM
P-263F-4760M-160Premium
Reply to: Msg 964799 by Captain Slick Kitty
I think some things translate well to film and some don't. The trouble is the source material. The Haunting of Hill House is a book that hinges on things being creepy and unsettling, off-kilter and that feeling of dread you can't voice. It's a masterful work, but then, how are you supposed to show dread for an hour and a half on screen? The audience gets bored and the popcorn runs out. It makes me sad they go for cheap jump scares instead. If you haven't read the book, it's worth a read, but I definitely agree that the movie is lackluster.
Msg: 964819
Author: detectiveProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Sep 3, 2018 4:25 PM
P-22F-621M-28
Reply to: Msg 964807 by PiggyJaunt
Did you see the original Haunting? From your description I thought you’d be describing a remake. I think the original is all about conveying the evil atmosphere by being off-kilter. I picked it for CSK’s LTC tracker because I thought it was creepy without resorting to the cheap thrills of more recent movies. I must admit I haven’t seen it in s few years though I just read the book this summer. Well, listened to an audio book in the car! But with the exception of the bloody walls, the walk outside, and changing Mrs Markham’s character around, I thought it was as a pretty faithful adaptation of the story AND it’s dread. I’m very sympathetic to problems of poor adaptations. 99% of the time the movie can not compare to the book. For me, this is one of the times when I feel it comes close. I wonder what Jackson thought of it?
Msg: 965092
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: The Nun
Date: Sep 9, 2018 4:03 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
Being a huge fan of the Conjuring series, I could not wait to see The Nun.

Set in Romania the movie begins with two nuns standing at a door marked with wording that I believe could be Latin (?) maybe???? Later you learn it reads "God ends here". One enters, the other stays and prays. You then hear screaming and the nun who enter returns, bloodied and distraught. She hands the praying nurse a strange key and tells her "you know what you must do" and something about not being the vessel. The hapless nun is then dragged away and the praying nun runs away. The running nun then hurries to her room, grabs a rope and as evil THE NUN is approaching, this nun takes her life.

Her body is then found by a local farmer, a French Canadian, who settled there after the war and who delivers food to abbey. Word of her suicide reaches the Vatican and they send priest who specializes in "miracles" and a young American novitiate Sister Irene, who for reasons not given is in London England, to investigate why a nun who kill herself.

Having provided the basic premise of the movie, I will move on to my Kitty Paws:

One Kitty Paw for Taissa Farmiga's performance as Sister Irene.
One Kitty Paw for some excellent jumps.
One Kitty Paw for oddly enough, well timed comedic zingers.

Overall, I do recommend it. But for me, being such a huge fan of this series and James Wan, who directed both of the Conjurings, I think I was a little disappointed. James Wan did not direct this movie and I believe it would have totally elevated my ratings had he.

For me, there was too much choppiness. I felt the beginning dialogue was a bit choppy. I felt the Father Burke's past experience was a little choppy and I felt the explanation of the abbey was choppy.

Possible spoilers********* Continue at your own risk.

The Nun does provide an interesting little twist/tie in at the end. I saw it coming and if you are a huge Conjuring fan, maybe you will see it coming too. PLUS, maybe you will pick up on a second one. I had my suspicions confirmed but I won't say when. (I don't want to give anything away). But I have no doubt that there will be at least one more in the series.

csk
Msg: 965159
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: Re: The Nun
Date: Sep 10, 2018 9:14 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
Reply to: Msg 965092 by Captain Slick Kitty
So, I follow Bloody-Disgusting on Facebook. It's a website/facebook page dedicated to scary movies. Tonight it featured a ranking of the 5 "Conjuring" films that include the doll and the nun. According to their rankings
5) Annabelle
4) The Nun
3) Annabell the Creation
2) The Conjuring 2
1) The Conjuring

I sooooooo disagree with their ranking. My rankings are as followed:
4) Annabelle The Creation
3) The Nun
2) Conjuring 2/Annabelle
1) The Conjuring

Anyhooooo.... I just thought I would share.
Msg: 965533
Sits N Knits Subject: National Treasure
Author: Sits N KnitsProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Sep 18, 2018 8:12 PM
P-49F-886M-1795Premium
So once again I watched Nicolas Cage in National Treasure. That movie always inspires me. But I’ve yet to write a clue based on it.
Has anyone else ever written a National Treasure clue?

Sits N Knits
Msg: 965538
Subject: Re: National Treasure
Author: Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Sep 18, 2018 8:47 PM
P-34F-147M-5680Premium
Reply to: Msg 965533 by Sits N Knits
Has anyone else ever written a National Treasure clue?

Perhaps my two Letterbox Treasure boxes will give you inspiration.

BTW, both clues tell you where to locate the required text needed to decode the message. However, you have to be a little familiar with Ogden to figure it out. Still, someone managed to decode the first message (and tell me two mistakes I'd made) without leaving Idaho, but (fortunately) I can no longer find that particular image online.
Msg: 965544
Public Hand Subject: Re: National Treasure
Author: Public HandProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Sep 18, 2018 10:24 PM
P-854F-22823M-2115Premium
This one is one of our favorites:

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=228221

I believe we were last to find.....there had been some serious maintenance at the location leaving it very exposed but we had a blast solving and finding it.
Msg: 965549
Scooters Mom Subject: Re: National Treasure
Author: Scooters MomProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Sep 19, 2018 4:55 AM
P-42F-1696M-387Premium
So once again I watched Nicolas Cage in National Treasure. That movie always inspires me.

That brought back a really old memory.

re: National Treasure
Msg: 965623
TrailTroll Subject: Re: National Treasure
Author: TrailTrollProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Sep 20, 2018 1:33 PM
P-117F-2746M-1702Premium
I have a series of 6 boxes in 3 different parks that is one of, if not the, favorite series of mine: it's #115104
Msg: 966964
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: Cargo
Date: Oct 18, 2018 7:24 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
Getting back on track with my Halloween themed films, yesterday I reviewed Cargo, starring Martin Freeman.

The premise is as followed: Living in Australia, there is a zombie pandemic outbreak and Martin and his wife and daughter are living on a boat they stole, cruising down the river, avoiding mainland, the problems of mainland, and zombies.

The wife, trying to surprise her husband, gets bit and has 48 hours before she turns. After she turns, she in turn (pls. excuse the pun) bites Martian and now his 48 hour race to find anyone to care for his infant daughter, Rosie begins.

While Martin is dealing with his struggles, you also meet Thoomi, an young spirited Aborigine who is trying to "heal" her father with the Clever Man.

Their journeys converge in a horrible, incredibly indecent, inhumane way and continues from there.

Having said enough, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for Simone Landers', Thoomi, performance. She is perfect in every shot.
One Kitty Paw for its balance of humane and inhumane approach.
One Kitty Paw for making the audience care about its characters.

It does offer it's opinion about the fracking and suggests that it is extremely damaging to our precious Earth; perhaps even the cause of the pandemic.

At 3 Kitty Paws it is decent enough to recommend but I can not say it's an absolute must. But if you are in the mood for an international zombie pandemic mood, then I do recommend Cargo as your next movie.

csk
Msg: 967445
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: Ghost Stories with Martin Freeman
Date: Oct 27, 2018 10:29 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
I took a look at my list and decided to check out Ghost Stories.

This is a British film, set in Britain. While Martin Freeman is in it, he is not necessarily the main character but he certainly plays his many parts well.

The premise is as followed: Prof. Phillip Goodman is the main star of "Psychic Cheats", a show dedicated to unmasking false psychics. It initially plays as a documentary, with Phillip speaking directly to you and going into his life. He even shares how Dr. Charles Cameron changed his world view of things as he was the leader in debunking other people's ghost/poltergeists stories. Then Dr. Cameron disappears and Phillip quips how it is ironic that he was debunking other people's mysteries and then became a bit mystery himself.

Then the direction of the film changes when Phillip receives a package one day from the missing Dr. Cameron, asking him to come to this curious trailer park. Enthralled to finally meet his hero, he comes. During their visit, the dr. explains that he was a horrible person and treated everyone around him horribly but that there were three cases he himself could not solve. He hands Phillip a blue file, asking him to investigate them and off Phillip goes.

Having said enough, on to the Kitty Paw Ratings:
One Kitty Paws for it's diverse ghost stories.
One Kitty Paw for it's decent jumps and scares.
One Kitty Paw for Simon. I liked him and his story the best.
And One Kitty Paw for drawing you in.

But I did not like the ending. I felt that the final ghost story really came out of no where and brings you to what is the "twist" to the story and you see how it all ties together. But for me, it fell flat. And I was right there! I was hooked. But left field endings never really sit well with me.

But if you are curious, and it's a dark and stormy night, feel free to check it out. Right up until Phillip returns to Dr. Cameron's trailer, it's pretty good.

csk
Msg: 967989
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: Hereditary
Date: Nov 5, 2018 10:39 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
Sticking with my Halloween plan, even though I am past my end date, I finally had a chance to check out Hereditary, starring Toni Collette.

My first impression after viewing was what the hell did I just watch???!!!

To be honest, I am surprised that I even finished it. I struggled with this movie almost from the beginning. It was slow in starting, with a few odd things happening here and there but after the "incident" with Toni's character's children, I really considered turning it off.

Backing up, the premise is as followed: Annie, played by Toni, who cared for her rather estranged mother in the final months of her mother's life, explains to those who attend her mother's funeral that her mother led a secret life and kept many secrets in her life. (Although later you get the serious impression, Annie knew about Mom's secrets.)

At the funeral you can clearly see that something is very off about Charlie, Annie's youngest child, a daughter. The movie goes to show you that Charlie had a very strong attachment to the grandmother. This is because Annie basically gave Charlie, the little girl, to the grandmother.

And if Charlie wasn't weird enough before grandma's death, she gets even weirder after, even cutting animal heads off.

In the meanwhile, weird things are manifesting in the house. You get the impression that Annie has an idea but lives in total denial about the truth regarding her mother, her husband and her children, odd Charlie and pot smoking teenage son Peter.

And then there is a horrible incident with her two children that even I was like, ummmmmmmm, no. I don't want to give away what happened but Peter's response and the aftermath or lack thereof, for me, takes away credibility for this movie.

But I continued, hoping it would all come together. I was wrong. The ending is so ridiculous, with Annie flying everywhere, I just sat there-probably with my mouth agape, staring at the wall-trying to figure out what the hell did I just watch.

So, I watched this Saturday night and as it is now Monday, I still am shaking my head. I understand the ending. I understand what happens but there are so many issues with the story itself, aside from missing information--which the director does assume the audience will string together to understand the whole picture, having characters the audience doesn't care about or if they survive, the head cutting scenes, the sudden and out of nowhere King Paimon connection, and Annie flying around it just felt ridiculous.

Granted Toni Collette does a decent job of being in denial and losing her sanity in her grief and there a few decent "scares/jumps", overall it just falls flat and looks ridiculous. And again, it also doesn't help if you don't care for the characters, and I really did not care for Peter-especially because of his denial of what he did to Charlie , who by the end of the movie is the ultimate victim.

In a follow up article I read, the author and director argues that this movie moves on a deeper level, that it is a reflection of how families can sometime cause mental health break downs in the long run. Being a social worker, yes, I agree but when granny is worshiping the 7th King of Hell or whatever, you don't let her near your kids. It's kinda that simple.

csk
Msg: 968365
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Date: Nov 14, 2018 10:10 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
Tonight I was treated to this movie by son who called me out of the blue and asked me to dinner and a movie. I really felt like I won the lottery. So, naturally, I accepted.

The premise is as followed: The movie opens up with a frumpy, down in the dumps detective by the name of John Hunt who works for the Dallas Police Department. Hunt, while running errands with his children, becomes an unknown witness to a bank robbery~ a bank robbery committed by Redford playing Forrest Tucker, the leader of The Over The Hill Bank Robbing Gang.

Det. Hunt then picks up the trail of the Over the Hill gang and leads the authority on finding Tucker and the gang. In doing so he catches the attention of Tucker, who is as charming as ever.

The movie ends almost as you would imagine as you get to know Tucker and see how he ticks. But it's a great ride getting there. Bare in mind though, this is NOT a fast moving movie, or a crazy bank robbery shoot the cops dead scenario. No. And if you are expecting this, don't see this movie. You will be disappointed.

But, I would argue that Redford has chosen quite wisely for his final movie career. The pace is slow which is perfect for getting to know how charming Tucker must have been. And I would like to add, it seemed to me that the icon/main character was almost written for Redford's final movie bow.

At 84, Redford leads a stellar cast of Sissy Spacek, Danny Glover, Casey Affleck and Tom Waite (whom I am not familiar with but he tells a funny Christmas story in the movie.)

Having said enough, on to my Kitty Paws
Two Kitty Paws for Redford. With that slow, charming smile, he's still got "it".
One kitty paw for a fun, simple movie.
One Kitty Paw for great supportive cast. (Sissy Spacek looks hella good too!)

But having given my kitty paws, I have to take a half away because they blew a moment to give Redford a great comeback remark in the bathroom.

The audience with me was a mixture of young and old. My son probably was the youngest at 23. (His mother raised him right with the movies! So, he wanted to see this icon in his final movie.) I mention this because when the screen read "AND HE DID" people audibly gasped with disappointment, my son included. Number 17 will always be "saving the best for last!"

As I have said before, if you are expecting a fast paced, gun toting Machine Gun Kelly bank heist, don't bother with this movie. It is not that kind of movie. But you are looking for a great, feel good movie with a Hollywood Legend taking his final bow, then yes, buy the ticket and take his last ride.

csk
Msg: 968381
Amanda from Seattle Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Author: Amanda from SeattleProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Nov 15, 2018 2:16 PM
P-262F-4581M-3566Premium
Reply to: Msg 968365 by Captain Slick Kitty
I really enjoyed "Our Souls at Night" with him and Jane Fonda (together in Barefoot in the Park and The Electric Horseman) so I am looking forward to this one. We love heist movies. Spy Game was an interesting movie with him being the older spy with Brad Pitt.
Msg: 968393
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Date: Nov 15, 2018 9:03 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
Reply to: Msg 968381 by Amanda from Seattle
Barefoot in the Park

is was one of the first movies I ever saw him in. What a hottie!!!! Aughghghghgh! Be still my beating heart!

But believe it or not I have not seen him in The Sting, with the exceptional hottie Paul Newman! Those two, OMG!!!!!

But yes, definitely seen them in Butch and Cassidy!

csk
Msg: 968438
Amanda from Seattle Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Author: Amanda from SeattleProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Nov 16, 2018 2:38 PM
P-262F-4581M-3566Premium
Reply to: Msg 968393 by Captain Slick Kitty
OMG The Sting is fabulous!! One of the all time best "heist" movies EVER, PERIOD. You gotta see it. I would put everything else on hold and watch The Sting next.

-amanda from seattle
Msg: 968441
Wise Wanderer Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Author: Wise WandererProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Nov 16, 2018 4:37 PM
P-126F-1136M-1172Premium
Reply to: Msg 968438 by Amanda from Seattle
One of the all time best "heist" movies EVER, PERIOD.

I totally agree - blown away by how clever the plot!! Best EVER!!! It was actually the first movie video I bought (something ridiculous like $70.) after I got a video tape player . . . back in the pre-electronic age before DVDs and online streaming. Of course, it didn't hurt that it stars two of my favorite hunks of that era.
Msg: 968494
Okie Dog Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Author: Okie DogProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Nov 18, 2018 8:59 PM
P-26F-94M-6041Premium
Reply to: Msg 968365 by Captain Slick Kitty
You mentioned Tom Waite. I wonder now if that may be a brother, or uncle, or some such of Ralph Waite who starred in The Waltons. Possibly a son, even.
Has Robert Redford passed on, or just retiring from making movies?
Msg: 968495
wassamatta u Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Author: wassamatta uProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Nov 18, 2018 9:09 PM
P-39F-290M-7162Premium
Reply to: Msg 968494 by Okie Dog
You mentioned Tom Waite.

Actually, it is Tom Waits, the musician and actor (I loved him in "Mystery Men").
Msg: 968496
Okie Dog Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Author: Okie DogProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Nov 18, 2018 9:29 PM
P-26F-94M-6041Premium
Reply to: Msg 968495 by wassamatta u
Thanks, Wassa.
Proud for you and your son. Good man!
Msg: 968499
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Date: Nov 18, 2018 10:22 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
I believe he is retiring from making movies. He did produce this film, so I don't know if it's acting and producing or just acting.

csk

Actually, it is Tom Waits

Boris Badenov: Phooey! Foiled again!

Natasha Fatale: Don't you mean, "Curses! Foiled again!"?

Boris Badenov: Please, Natasha. This is kiddie show.

When the moose is right, he's right . . .
Msg: 968504
Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Author: Boris BadenovProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Nov 19, 2018 6:28 AM
M-61Inactive
Reply to: Msg 968499 by Captain Slick Kitty
When the moose is right, he's right . . .

Und vhen he ist vrong, he ist Vassa (Wassa).
Msg: 968505
MissMoon Subject: Re: The Old Man and The Gun~ Redford and that charming smile!
Author: MissMoonProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Nov 19, 2018 6:57 AM
P-120F-5397M-5402Premium
Has Robert Redford passed on, or just retiring from making movies?

He's alive and well. Google is our friend.
Msg: 969230
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: My Annual Christmas Movie Plug: I Remember Mama
Date: Dec 9, 2018 2:26 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
My annual Christmas movie plug:

Every Xmas my grandfather would sit us down and make us watch "I Remember Mama". It is not Xmas movie. It is a movie about a Norwegian family who lives in the early 1900s in San Francisco. And it is, in my opinion the perfect movie.

Irene Dunn is perfect as "Mama".
There is Uncle Chris, the "black Norwegian".
There is Uncle Elizabeth, the cat.
There are that Aunts you won't like.
And there is my favorite part when you learn about Uncle Chris' secret.

Every year I promote this movie in memory of my grandfather. And because he was right. This is a wonderful movie.

csk
Msg: 969231
Mama Dee Subject: Re: My Annual Christmas Movie Plug: I Remember Mama
Author: Mama DeeProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Dec 9, 2018 3:30 PM
P-46F-155M-17
Reply to: Msg 969230 by Captain Slick Kitty
I love old movies & Irene Dunn is superb. I will have to make a point to see this one!
Msg: 969232
Subject: Re: My Annual Christmas Movie Plug: I Remember Mama
Author: a knitwitProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Dec 9, 2018 3:33 PM
P-6F-2770M-50Premium
I too look forward to seeing it each year! An oldie but goodie.
Msg: 969514
Trishee Subject: Re: My Annual Christmas Movie Plug: I Remember Mama
Author: TrisheeProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Dec 18, 2018 8:44 PM
P-17F-263M-282Premium
Ok I finally watched it and I loved it! Uncle Chris was my favorite character and then at the end I loved him even more. Thanks CSK for introducing it to me!
Msg: 970114
Captain Slick Kitty Subject: Hmmmmmm..... Not Surprised.....
Date: Jan 6, 2019 6:44 PM
P-372F-539M-2019Premium
The Golden Globes are on tonight . . .

Richard Madden has won for The Bodyguard

and

Michael Douglas has won for The Kominsky Method

With high Kitty Paw ratings, I am not surprised.

csk
(But I did not see the rise of the FUJI water girl.)
|← First ← Previous
Start New Thread
Simple | Summaries | Expanded

Board: Movie Moments
Group: Hobby Box