Start New Thread
Simple | Summaries | Expanded

Msg: 945728
Boxer Lover47 Subject: Re: Visiting soon
Author: Boxer Lover47ProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: May 14, 2017 3:50 PM
P-152F-1590M-2946Premium
Reply to: Msg 945698 by Wendy
Hard to say. You're right on the cusp as far as mosquitoes go. Mostly folks are surprised with our very low humidity. I'd go with what Our Crazy Bunch said and add a constant bottle of water/person.
Msg: 945882
Monkeys! Subject: St. George
Author: Monkeys!ProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: May 18, 2017 4:09 PM
P-27F-392M-1165Inactive
Hi Utah Boxing Friends! I know we met several of you when we were in SLC a few years back, and we had a great time.
We'll be spending the better part of a day in St. George visiting friends over Memorial weekend (we'll be in Vegas for most of the trip). We thought it would be fun to find a few letterboxes while we're there, and there seem to be plenty to choose from! Any hints as to a route we might take to maximize the fun? Any not-to-be-missed boxes (or sites in general)? We probably won't have time for any long hikes.
Thanks for any tips,
Monkeys!
Msg: 945902
brailleboxer Subject: Re: St. George
Author: brailleboxerProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: May 19, 2017 11:24 AM
P-49F-166M-411Premium
Reply to: Msg 945882 by Monkeys!
Following this as I will be in St. George in October for a day
Msg: 947216
Subject: TrailFest 2017
Author: Oberon_KenobiProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jun 20, 2017 7:33 PM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
This Saturday is TrailFest 2017. It is to promote the Centennial Trail, the trail system that surrounds Ogden: Weber River Parkway, Ogden River Parkway and the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

Other than discovering new places to hide letterboxes this wouldn't be relevant for the letterboxing forums, except for this from the link provided: "Let's grab a passport, explore the trail and ***get our passports stamped.***" (Emphasis added.)

I'm not part of this organization, but today I noticed the emphasized part above so I thought I'd share, in case you want some "other" stamps.
Msg: 948508
Subject: Moab meetup?
Author: HoneychyckProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jul 16, 2017 2:33 PM
P-1264F-5328M-442Premium
Alright - so this won't occur until next April, but I'm always one to plan and prepare an awesome trip! Honeymama and I will be staying in the Moab area next April from around the 14th to the 22nd (maybe a day or two earlier / later depending on the best flight prices). Since we just had so much fun meeting other letterboxers in Oregon, we were hoping to do it again!

Is there anyone in the Moab area? I'd be thrilled with either a park get together, a meal, or whatever people would have time for. I'd also be happy to carve a few stamps for some sort of gather if it was appropriate :)

~Honeychyck
Msg: 948550
DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie Subject: Re: Moab meetup?
Author: DarkZen and Evil Cow PieProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jul 17, 2017 6:28 AM
P-94F-301M-782Premium
Reply to: Msg 948508 by Honeychyck
We live in CA so I'm of no help but...

Why not make it a full fledged event? We would come because Moab is one of my favorite towns in the world!
Msg: 948558
Subject: Re: Moab meetup?
Date: Jul 17, 2017 9:16 AM
P-1264F-5328M-442Premium
Reply to: Msg 948550 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
An awesome idea that I would gladly help contribute to, but... I live in Massachusetts! I wouldn't be able to plant much of anything ahead of time since we're spending most of the trip in the National Parks.

Someone at the Oregon event that I just went to had the idea of "Lots of people bring stamps, plant them, and then everyone goes and finds them on that same day." I have no idea if that would work, but it seemed interesting.
Msg: 948874
KAT Subject: Re: Moab meetup?
Author: KATProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jul 20, 2017 6:00 PM
P-45F-264M-37Premium
Reply to: Msg 948508 by Honeychyck
Hmmm, next April...I will have to figure out if I will be around to put together an event. I held a fun gathering in Moab in 2005, and it is certainly is about time to do it again...

Next April we are going on a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon for a couple of weeks, but I don't know the dates yet. Also, my daughter graduates high school at the end of the month, so I don't know what I might be involved with on that.

I'll see what I can do in the next couple of months! :)

KAT
Msg: 948917
Subject: Re: Moab meetup?
Date: Jul 21, 2017 1:44 PM
P-1264F-5328M-442Premium
Reply to: Msg 948874 by KAT
We actually booked our tickets, car, and cabin last night. We'll be in Moab from April 15th through the 21st (the 14th and 22nd are driving to / away from the area). If you want to / can make it happen with your schedule, let me know and I'll carve stamps / help in any way that I can.
Msg: 950536
Subject: Hobby Lobby Riverdale
Date: Aug 26, 2017 6:46 AM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
Yesterday (Friday) I went to the new Hobby Lobby in Riverdale. They carry carving material! It is in the back almost straight in from the front door, two aisles north of the restrooms.

They carry three sizes of Speedy Carve (pink), up to 6×12 ($21.99), three sizes of Easy Carve (blue), and more sizes of carving linoleum. They also have brayers and ink. I've heard that the Easy Carve blue is just like the white: It is easy to carve but won't hold up long in the wild.

Ignoring Utah tax and Stampeaz shipping it takes a 40% coupon to bring the local cost of 6×12 down to below the Stampeaz price.

Hobby Lobby has two Speed Ball carving kits, with Speedy Carve. They have three different carving handles with blades. One is Speed Ball brand, and the other two look like cheaper plastic and they were less expensive. One of these was even half the length of the Speed Ball, but they both looked like Speed Ball versions.

So we have a Utah Store that I've been to that carries carving supplies.
Msg: 957303
Subject: Soccer Complex in Riverdale
Date: Feb 26, 2018 9:30 PM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
While reading the Facebook page for Riverdale I saw this Proposal for Soccer Fields. I'm the only one with letterboxes in the (potentially) affected area, but I wanted others to know about it. (The other letterboxes nearby are by the sundial which probably won't be affected.)

I tried to find a map, but I haven't yet found one. From what little information is in the posting it will apparently be south of the marsh. This will take out holes 19-27 of the disc golf course, but they may just be changed in location.

On the plus side, it will make it easier to get to this area by adding a bridge across the river at 900 West and parking. On the minus side, it will take out some wild space, some of which is used for cross-country bicycling, letterboxing (mine) and geocaching. Nevertheless, there will still be wild space south of these areas. No matter what happens we'll deal with it.
Msg: 957312
Boxer Lover47 Subject: Re: Soccer Complex in Riverdale
Date: Feb 27, 2018 6:35 AM
P-152F-1590M-2946Premium
Reply to: Msg 957303 by Oberon_Kenobi
Interesting. I saw a similar article in a recent Standard-Examiner. I thought they were talking about a different area along the Weber River Parkway and didn't connect it to your series near the disc golf course. The Riverdale Fb page has better info on that. You'll have to keep a watch on it. I always thought that area would be great for a night boxing series, but I never got around to making it.
Msg: 957333
Subject: Re: Soccer Complex in Riverdale
Author: The Gingerbread ManProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Feb 27, 2018 3:38 PM
P-98F-704M-15Premium
Reply to: Msg 957312 by Boxer Lover47
Ooh, I want to find night-boxes!
Msg: 957341
Subject: Re: Soccer Complex in Riverdale
Date: Feb 27, 2018 6:22 PM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
Reply to: Msg 957312 by Boxer Lover47
I always thought that area would be great for a night boxing series, but I never got around to making it.

I agree with The Gingerbread Man, I want to find night-boxes!

But if my experience of night caches then I won't do well with night boxes either. Of 5 night caches I've looked for I've only been able to find 2 of them. One of those was with a group so I was just slack-night-caching.

I have placed one though. It is a driving cache. Maybe I'll think about placing a night box, but not in that particular area of Riverdale. I've got a stamp that I carved within the first year (I think) of me joining Atlas Quest that I carved specifically for a night cache or letterbox. I'll have to dig it up.

I've also got two UTA stamps that I carved about the same time. After I carved them I found (through some geocaching experiences of others) that UTA really doesn't like things hidden at their parking lots.
Msg: 963881
Subject: Nordic Valley Project
Date: Aug 14, 2018 3:46 PM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
I just found out today about a plan by Nordic Valley to expand from 140 acres to over 2,800 acres. This will include expanding over the mountain into North Ogden. If their plans are approved, construction will start in 2020.

I don't know yet what I think about this.

Initially, I think that it will open up more area for summer recreation, including letterboxing. This is what happened with Snow Basin because there are more trails available because the ski resort expanded. However, I also like the area being pristine. However, that leaves it less accessible.

What do you others think?
Msg: 963946
Boxer Lover47 Subject: Re: Nordic Valley Project
Date: Aug 15, 2018 6:52 PM
P-152F-1590M-2946Premium
Reply to: Msg 963881 by Oberon_Kenobi
I think it's an overly ambitious expansion. With Snow Basin close by, I'm not sure the area can support another large ski area. From what I've read in the newspaper, the locals are mostly against it. I'm OK with the Forest Service's ownership of the mountain. I hate to see loss of wilderness just for someone's financial gain. I was, and still am, against the original gondola proposed by Ogden's administration years ago, and also think one in North Ogden is equally undesirable (ridiculous?).
Msg: 963957
Subject: Re: Nordic Valley Project
Date: Aug 15, 2018 8:27 PM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
Reply to: Msg 963946 by Boxer Lover47
I actually found out about it from posts by Meg Sanders (who is opposed to the proposal) on Weber Pathways and Ogden Trails Network made on 7 August. I expect that Nordic Valley had to make a public proposal for public review before the Forest Service will even consider the proposal.

I'd like the private property at the bottom of Coldwater Canyon developed so that the Bonneville Shoreline Trail can go through it. The trail has to ascend 1000 feet more in altitude because of that property. (I don't want the government to be able to use eminent domain for a trail through there, but I want a trail through there eventually when it is developed, and the sooner the better.) Then again, there are plenty of other places that I haven't yet taken advantage of.

As far as that area, there are plenty of places near the summit and base for placing letterboxes.
Msg: 964418
Subject: View from Ogden Canyon Overlook
Date: Aug 25, 2018 5:18 PM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
I found this video linked from the [Ogden City Facebook] page. It is a 360° view of this location from a drone. It is a video worth seeing.

In case you want to know how to get to this location, start at the Maple Trailhead, at the northwest corner of the second Snow Basin parking lot. You follow the road beyond the gate until it ends at a fence. You then take the left fork of the well-marked trail until you get to the overlook.
Msg: 964437
Boxer Lover47 Subject: Re: View from Ogden Canyon Overlook
Date: Aug 25, 2018 9:10 PM
P-152F-1590M-2946Premium
Reply to: Msg 964418 by Oberon_Kenobi
Lovely!
How difficult a hike is it?
Msg: 964440
Subject: Re: View from Ogden Canyon Overlook
Date: Aug 25, 2018 10:38 PM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
Reply to: Msg 964437 by Boxer Lover47
Open Street Map gives distances in metric, so I'll give its values first.

From Maple Trailhead to Ogden Canyon Overlook:
Distance: 4.2km. Time: 0:51.
Ascend: 287m. Descend: 76m.

English units:
Distance: 2.6 miles Time: For me a few hours
Ascend: 941 ft. Descend: 249 ft.

I have gone 2.5 km & 146 m (1.5 miles & 479 feet) of it before it started to rain. My goal was geocaches, so I got as many as I could before it started to rain. It was that first big switchback where I found the last geocache and turned around. I'll get the others another time.

I'd like to put a letterbox up there, not far from the trailhead. However, I need to decide what to carve and then take the time to do it. Then I can put the box together and plant it.
Msg: 964448
Date: Aug 26, 2018 7:06 AM
P-152F-1590M-2946Premium
Reply to: Msg 964440 by Oberon_Kenobi
Thanks for the unit conversion. I'm assuming that's 2.6 mi & 941 ft elevation gain one way? Hmmm, pretty long & steep for this old body. 8~P But the other area LBers are in much better condition than I. So go ahead and plant!
Msg: 964451
Date: Aug 26, 2018 7:11 AM
P-98F-704M-15Premium
Reply to: Msg 964448 by Boxer Lover47
Not this letterboxer. I’m too fat and weak for hikes. But since you said you’d plant it near the trailhead, I can probably handle it.
Msg: 964453
Date: Aug 26, 2018 7:24 AM
P-152F-1590M-2946Premium
Reply to: Msg 964451 by The Gingerbread Man
Ah, yes, I could do near the TH!
Msg: 964468
Date: Aug 26, 2018 11:39 AM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
Reply to: Msg 964451 by The Gingerbread Man
Not this letterboxer. I’m too fat and weak for hikes.

You should see me. You can probably do more than you think you can if you have the right hiking companion. On a geocaching trip in 2015 (pretty sure) I did 2200 ft elevation gain and over 5 miles each way over 16 hours. It was from North Ogden Pass to almost Chilly Peak, half way to Ben Lomond Peak.

But since you said you’d plant it near the trailhead, I can probably handle it.

It is a matter of doing it once to be able to find It, or making it easy enough to be able to maintain it. There is a lot of space by Snow Basin and no letterboxes (that I know of) near the Maple Trailhead. There are thirteen accessed from the Green Pond Trailhead, and one (mine) from the Art Nord Trailhead (though it is marginally closer from the Green Pond Trailhead).

I still haven't found Pepper Was a Service Dog even though I've looked for it twice. I just haven't found the right landmarks. And I want to find that before I look for the ones uphill from that trailhead.
Msg: 964491
Date: Aug 26, 2018 4:45 PM
P-98F-704M-15Premium
Reply to: Msg 964468 by Oberon_Kenobi
I also have chronic health issues, so overexertion can land me in bed for a week. But letterboxing does manage to get me hiking. I hate hiking. I want to be in the forest without having to put out effort to get there. :)

Heading up letterboxing in Boise next month!
Msg: 964496
Date: Aug 26, 2018 5:50 PM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
Reply to: Msg 964491 by The Gingerbread Man
I hate hiking. I want to be in the forest without having to put out effort to get there. :)

I agree. The superpower I'd like to have is either super-speed, teleportation, or even if I could only teleport to a place where I've been before (then walk the rest of the way).

But we don't have those superpowers, so we have to hike. That is why when I plant I like places that are easier to get to. I'll find farther away (in general) that where I'll plant.

However, because I geocache as well I plant some of my letterboxes (the ones I post both places) where I can also plant a geocache letterbox. This is why COVFEFE is so far from the Art Nord Trailhead, though it is an easy walk. I've got plans for others which will (almost always) be closer to parking. I just need to make time to do everything to plant a letterbox.
Msg: 964504
Topcollector Subject: Re: View from Ogden Canyon Overlook
Author: TopcollectorProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Aug 26, 2018 7:22 PM
P-66F-2470M-2184Premium
Reply to: Msg 964418 by Oberon_Kenobi
"Like". That's beautiful.
Msg: 966767
Subject: Salt Lake City Cemetery Box
Date: Oct 14, 2018 9:17 AM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
I was geocaching in the Salt Lake City Cemetery yesterday (Saturday) and came across a pouch made of camo duct tape. Two of the corners of the pouch had been chewed through, probably by a mouse. It had a paper in it identifying it as a letterbox, but there was no stamp. The log inside shows that geocachers have been signing it as the geocache, but no letterbox logbook.

The pouch is in a juniper tree located on the block west of Center Street and 240 N, in the northeast quarter of the block. This is where the cache coordinates put the cache, but the juniper is the tree slightly south of there: geocache.

I tried to figure out which letterbox it was, but following the directions I couldn't figure out which one it is. I was with a geocaching friend this day so I wasn't following letterboxing directions to this tree. It may also be a retired box that I don't know about.

I want to let the Salt Lake City letterboxing community know about the status of this box, whichever one it was. I also AQ-mailed the three box owners of the boxes in the Salt Lake City Cemetery that I could not exclude.
Msg: 968145
Subject: Ogden City Transportation Master Plan
Date: Nov 9, 2018 9:04 AM
P-34F-147M-5690Premium
Atlas Quest: International Letterboxing
Ogden has a web site to view and comment on the Ogden City Transportation Master Plan.
Msg: 968576
IrishRef Subject: Utah State Road Sign Stamp Available
Author: IrishRefProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Nov 21, 2018 9:22 AM
P-450F-1597M-4508
As part of a state road sign postal ring I carved Utah. If you are interested in planting it in Utah let me know. Just send via AQ a mailing address.
|← First ← Previous
Start New Thread
Simple | Summaries | Expanded

Board: State: Utah
Group: United States Letterboxing