BrockBrood Subject: Re: Tutorial
Board: Postals
Author: BrockBroodProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 12:18 AM
P-125F-770M-439Premium
Reply to: Msg 942398 by Mommy Mouse
Your welcome. :-)
Msg: 942421
Wry Me Subject: Re: Disney/Orlando Boxes?
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Author: Wry MeProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 4:15 AM
P-116F-1605M-1995Premium
Reply to: Msg 942364 by BeeHappyJZ
Msg: 942422
BBStacker Subject: W4F, Fitbit, and Register Entries
Board: Walking4Fun
Author: BBStackerProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 5:05 AM
P-167F-2618M-2123Profile updatedPremium
So today I logged into W4F early and saw that Fitbit synched 13.1 miles for yesterday. As usual I verified this with the Fitbit app and for the first time saw a somewhat significant error (at least for me it was). The app showed that I covered 13.55 miles not 13.1.

So as I scrolled down through the photos, and really enjoyed the cute little pica, and winced at Karolina's bloody toe I got annoyed that all my miles aren't being recorded. So I went back and manually adjusted the miles to 13.55 and W4F gave me 13.6. But now I can no longer see the original register entry I made to adjust that. Not like it's a big deal or anything.

I was just wondering how all that works together. Why the register entries I saw when 13.1 miles were recorded were not the same as when I adjusted it to 13.6 miles for the same day?

Another thing that's starting to bother me with Fitbit as I near the end of the trail. I don't like wasting miles at the end of the trail so I usually add 0.1 miles at the end just to make sure I complete the trail. Any extra miles I walk that day I carry over to the next day to add to the new trail. Cheating? Nah! Just manipulating numbers a tiny bit. I still do all the work. So I'm wondering if I can shut off Fitbit just before completing the trail so I can manually close out the trail and than restart Fitbit synching a day or two into the new trail.
Msg: 942423
Ele Subject: Re: Disney/Orlando Boxes?
Author: EleProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 5:09 AM
P-50F-3446M-363
Reply to: Msg 942421 by Wry Me
Message has been posted for only 45 min and already deleted??
Msg: 942424
Subject: Re: Disney/Orlando Boxes?
Author: Grrly GirlProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 6:05 AM
P-108F-3609M-1872Premium
Reply to: Msg 942423 by Ele
I'm seeing the original post and "Dramatic Story" post.
Which post are you looking for?
Msg: 942425
Rebiccola Subject: Re: Disney/Orlando Boxes?
Author: RebiccolaProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 6:47 AM
P-214F-1037M-115Premium
Reply to: Msg 942424 by Grrly Girl
I'm with Ele. When I click the link to Dramatic Story, I get a page that says "That message has been deleted."
Msg: 942428
IrishRef Subject: Re: Salt Lake City
Board: State: Utah
Author: IrishRefProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 8:02 AM
P-450F-1597M-4508
Reply to: Msg 942363 by photopam
I was there in September. Didn't get many boxes but would suggest doing the Patriotic Utah near the state capital by A Patriot.

While I was there managed to get the following:

Ruth's Diner (Nice drive and lunch place but it is out a canyon past Utah University
Challenge Accepted!
Best of the Bakeries: Sweet Tooth Fairy
The Headless Horseman
Hatch Family Chocolates (Definitely a tasty stop)
Three Billy Goats Gruff: Folk Tales
Patriotic: Utah
Msg: 942429
oceanwinds Subject: Re: "Hi" from Piper
Board: State: North Carolina
Author: oceanwindsProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 8:04 AM
P-52F-3049M-2669Premium
Reply to: Msg 942400 by Piper on the Trail
Hi
The new thing with me is I had knee surgery last week. Doing good and hope to be able to hit the trails again in a few weeks.
Msg: 942430
IrishRef Subject: Re: Mystery Postal 406 is now open
Board: Postals
Author: IrishRefProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 8:04 AM
P-450F-1597M-4508
Reply to: Msg 942340 by IrishRef
Clue 3 = 64

Will be traveling for work but should still be able to keep the clues going.
Msg: 942431
Date: Mar 1, 2017 8:07 AM
P-50F-3446M-363
Reply to: Msg 942424 by Grrly Girl
When I click on the "Dramatic Story" link, it comes up that it has been deleted.
Msg: 942432
Gypsy Fiddler Subject: Re: Disney/Orlando Boxes?
Author: Gypsy FiddlerProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 8:14 AM
P-209F-4067M-1098Premium
There is a series called Famous Floridians, series #1....planted by Grannybutterfly, but they are carves by Safari Man. There are 5 boxes and they are in a cemetery in Orlando-these were such wonderful finds! I was under the impression that they were all missing but one, but was so pleased to hear that while we were there for an event recently, others had found all of them. Sure enough, we went and they were all there, indeed! I highly recommend this series-and it is a very pleasant diversion from all the hoo-ha at the theme parks....just in case you need a little break! :-)
Msg: 942433
LROSEM Subject: Re: Ladies Crafting Retreat
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Author: LROSEMProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 8:31 AM
P-119F-563M-1635
Reply to: Msg 942426 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Please come join us! Anyone passing through or from NY can carpool with me. I am driving Wednesday and there will be letterboxing stops along the way.
Msg: 942434
Date: Mar 1, 2017 8:39 AM
P-50F-3446M-363
Reply to: Msg 942432 by Gypsy Fiddler
was under the impression that they were all missing but one

There are 2 Famous Floridians series. The series #2 boxes located in Gotha, FL (just west of Orlando) are all retired except one.
Msg: 942435
wassamatta u Subject: Re: Disney/Orlando Boxes?
Author: wassamatta uProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 8:47 AM
P-39F-290M-7162Premium
Reply to: Msg 942421 by Wry Me
There was a mistake in the originally posted URL ("dramatic story"). Try this one:
https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?msgId=689135
Msg: 942436
Subject: Re: Has anyone seen a bear while letterboxing?
Board: Critter Corner
Author: SN BoneProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 9:39 AM
P-167F-3383M-280Premium
Reply to: Msg 942384 by Lake Dragoness
Close to the east gate of Yellowstone. We watched sheep crosss the road as we got the box. When putting it back, we heard the bear roar and the sheep came flying (yes, they can move rapidly!) back across the road. We were far enough from the car to be concerned and made haste to get back inside. Never saw the bear but felt we were close enough!
Msg: 942437
FloridaFour Subject: Re: Disney/Orlando Boxes?
Author: FloridaFourProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 11:02 AM
P-75F-752M-6379
Disney property is entirely off limits for letterboxing. Geocaching has at least once, resulted in the park being shut down for part of the day. Yeah, you don't want to be part of that, you will get kicked out of Disney.

I suggest to contact Eeyoremama and see if any of the 100 or so event boxes in Lake Louisa State Park and nearby are still in place, as she has the clues. I already discarded my clues.
Msg: 942438
Bug Food Babe Subject: Re: Has anyone seen a bear while letterboxing?
Author: Bug Food BabeProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 11:18 AM
P-24F-1643M-99Premium
While vacationing in NH, we had just finished boxing and were heading to a spot to pick blueberries when a black bear crossed the road right in front of our car…scared the bejeebers out of me! We were only a short distance from the last box. I guess the bear had done some blueberry picking as well.

Another vacation, in Glacier NP, we were 4 miles into a hiking trail when a grizzly and 2 cubs came out of the woods…THAT was downright frightening!
Msg: 942439
Indiana Tim Subject: Indiana jones letterboxing event
Board: Event News and Planning
Author: Indiana TimProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 11:27 AM
P-47F-253M-52Inactive
I have great news, as of this morning I have completed the event stamp.
I'm still looking for more stamps and I will send another formal request out soon
Msg: 942440
Sir Braemoor Subject: Re: What do you say when someone spots you finding a letterbox?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Author: Sir BraemoorProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 11:35 AM
P-5F-7M-689Inactive
Reply to: Msg 942307 by Rocklun
I tell them I'm prospecting for oil. It is an incredibly effective response, and accomplishes all that its intended to. (Not that it happens too often, but when it does, it works).

There is a semi-interesting story of where this response comes from, and it was when I was metal detecting at a small modern municipal park; you know, the type with a baseball field, soccer field, pavilion, and so forth; the sort with a mulched playground that you take your kids to next to a modern subdivision. Swing sets and slides and that sort of thing.

And I'm metal detecting along, by the soccer field sideline, and someone comes up to me, and in a straight face, asks me if I'm prospecting for oil. I say yes, and they move on. So, I've used it ever since when someone asks what I'm doing, regardless of the find things hobby I'm engaged in. True story -- I'm not creative enough to make something this bizarre up.

If you are ever stuck for a response; I'm certain it will work for you as well.
Msg: 942441
Jaxx Subject: Re: Has anyone seen a bear while letterboxing?
Author: JaxxProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 12:19 PM
P-13F-976M-1691
Reply to: Msg 942438 by Bug Food Babe
Has anyone seen a bear while letterboxing?

I saw one in New Jersey a few years back. It was after I returned the box to its location and was driving away. I saw motion to my right and up on a small ridge, about ten feet up, was a black bear. It was VERY cool ....

Jaxx
Msg: 942442
Green Tortuga Subject: Re: W4F, Fitbit, and Register Entries
Board: Walking4Fun
Author: Green TortugaProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 12:30 PM
P-261F-1876M-21375Premium
Reply to: Msg 942422 by BBStacker
The app showed that I covered 13.55 miles not 13.1.

Distances are calculated, not measured. The Fitbit is only counting your steps and that's the only information sent to W4F. The distances on both Fitbit and W4F are calculated based on the stride for your account. If you didn't enter your stride, an "average stride" is used. I don't know how Fitbit estimates your stride, but Walking 4 Fun takes as much information is does know about you which could include gender, age and height then finds the average stride people have entered matching those statistics and uses that.

But in any case, the only way to get distances to match on both Fitbit and W4F are if you manually set the stride to be the same on both websites. They might not even wind up being exactly the same on the two websites due to rounding differences, but those types of differences would likely be minor.

I don't think the distances on one website are any more accurate than the other, though. The steps should always be the same, though. The calculated distances can be very different depending on your stride.

So I went back and manually adjusted the miles to 13.55 and W4F gave me 13.6.

Internally, W4F stores floating point numbers so it would have recorded 13.55 miles. (Actually, it's probably stored as something like 13.55000000001 or something ridiculous like that. Floating point numbers are funny that way.) But for display purposes, I don't want to display a stupid number like 13.55000000001 so I always have it round off to the nearest 10th of a mile--which is accurate for most purposes. =) But the thing to remember is don't sweat the small stuff. Your Fitbit might display distances with a precision to a hundredth of a mile, but there's no way your Fitbit can actually be accurate to that level of precision. If your Fitbit were entirely accurate, it really ought to say something like "13.55 miles--plus or minus 1.55 miles with a 90% confident level."

It's a false sense of precision, which is why I never have W4F display numbers smaller than a 10th of a number. But internally, it stores the numbers with much more precision than that.

But now I can no longer see the original register entry I made to adjust that.

It should show up somewhere. If you adjust the miles, it's possible the register entry is now a day "ahead" or "behind" you on the trail depending on if you added or removed miles, but it ought to be in there somewhere.

Why the register entries I saw when 13.1 miles were recorded were not the same as when I adjusted it to 13.6 miles for the same day?

You should see the same register entries--and maybe a few more for that extra half-mile you added. The register entries from that extra half mile would have been "taken" from the next day's register entries, though, so you'd lose some entries that next day.

So I'm wondering if I can shut off Fitbit just before completing the trail so I can manually close out the trail and than restart Fitbit synching a day or two into the new trail.

You can do that. I think it's probably easier just to let Fitbit sync the numbers, then change them after the fact. The day after a trail is finished and your Fitbit has synced, go in and remove the necessary number of miles/steps from the previous day. After the end of your first day on the new trail, go back and add the steps you removed from the previous day. Just wait for the day you want to adjust to be done and that your Fitbit has already synced all the data from the day before editing the numbers, though, so a sync doesn't overwrite your manually-entered data.

In theory, this should work, but I should mention that W4F will auto-check Fitbit data at something like 5:00 AM from the previous day just in case W4F missed a sync update. It's not supposed to overwrite manually entered data, but admittedly, I haven't tested it thoroughly. If there's a bug in there, your manually entered data might be overwritten. If it does, let me know--I'd like to know definitively if that code works correctly or not. But you can avoid the potential problem if you wait until the afternoon to manually update your step counts of the previous day.

Shutting off your Fitbit link and then re-activing it, theoretically can work, but it could cause similar problems if Fitbit syncs your data from the previous day to W4F and winds up overwriting your manually entered steps.

So I think just editing the steps after everything has synced is easier than unlinking and linking your Fitfit.

Actually, I think it's easier just to let Fitbit do whatever it does and not sweat the small stuff since distances are only estimates anyhow. =) You lose a mile or two of photos after walking of the end of the trail? Well, for all you know, you might not have even walked those miles to begin with if your stride is listed a tenth of an inch too long. *shrug*

-- Ryan
Msg: 942443
Warrior Woman Subject: Letterboxers Egg Hunt Jokers & Jesters
Board: Stamp Swap
Author: Warrior WomanProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 12:59 PM
P-362F-1023M-797Premium
My Letterboxers Egg Hunt Event is only a month away, and I am still in need of stamps in the loose theme of Jokers and Jesters since the event is scheduled for the April 1 weekend :-)

I've been bravely trying to carve again after a nearly 10 year hiatus. With the use of only 1/3 of one retina in one eye available to me, and with the new complication of a cataract in that one good eye, my carvings are slower and cruder than ever - but still hand carved :-)

If you can find it in your heart and schedule to send along any stamp that might fit into the theme of jokers, jesters, comedians, clowns, I would be very very grateful.

Warrior Woman
can be reached on here or in AQmail
Msg: 942444
Author: JohnsosaurusProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 1:32 PM
P-27F-596M-149Premium
Indeed, in the Great Smoky Mountains. I also have a bear that lives near me so I see her nearly every year...Now I'm wondering if anyone has encountered the bear that lives by me while finding one of my boxes.
Msg: 942445
Rocklun Subject: Re: What do you say when someone spots you finding a letterbox?
Author: RocklunProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 1:58 PM
P-529F-6897M-4970Premium
Reply to: Msg 942440 by Sir Braemoor
If you are ever stuck for a response; I'm certain it will work for you as well.

My husband and I got metal detectors last fall. So far, nobody has asked us what we're doing, but I'll keep that in mind. ;^)
Msg: 942446
west dover quidditch team Subject: Re: What do you say when someone spots you finding a letterbox?
Author: west dover quidditch teamProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 2:36 PM
P-126F-2196M-270Premium
Reply to: Msg 942445 by Rocklun
I usually just tell them I'm 'boxing. If they ask more, I say more.

I've actually met several fellow boxers for the first time that way.
Msg: 942447
Author: oj drinkerProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 6:22 PM
P-3F-1122M-50
[...] or possibly a panda.

I saw a panda while letterboxing at the National Zoo in Washington, DC! Does that count? :)
Msg: 942448
Date: Mar 1, 2017 7:18 PM
P-116F-1605M-1995Premium
Reply to: Msg 942431 by Ele
Did you accidentally put Green Tortuga on ignore? Pwahahaha!
Msg: 942449
Date: Mar 1, 2017 7:19 PM
P-116F-1605M-1995Premium
Reply to: Msg 942435 by wassamatta u
Really? It works fine for me now and when I tested it before posting. Weird.
Msg: 942450
Amanda from Seattle Subject: Re: Has anyone seen a bear while letterboxing?
Author: Amanda from SeattleProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 8:14 PM
P-262F-4581M-3566Premium
Yes, Black Bear, mom and cubs in Virginia (Shenandoah) near Front Royal, VA

-Amanda from Seattle
Msg: 942451
Author: WavesandwaterfallsProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Mar 1, 2017 9:56 PM
P-383F-2607M-26
Reply to: Msg 942450 by Amanda from Seattle
I've encountered bears multiple times while out hiking. I was way too close when hiking Kentucky Falls in Douglas County Oregon when 2 cubs came tumbling down a steep hill. Mama bear showed up about 1-2 minutes later. I didn't make a sound or move a muscle. Once Mama bear spotted me she yelled at her cubs and they all run back up the hill. I kicked my hike into a much faster pace to get back up to the trail head before Mama bear decided it was dinner time.

I've seen bears 2 other timers at other wilderness hiking locations. Both those other times I was already back in my car. I carry pepper spray, walking stick and a knife. If hiking alone I try to make noise(whistle or sing) to alert the bears I am present. Bears tend to avoid humans.
|← First ← Previous
Next → Last &rarr|;
Start New Thread
Simple | Summaries | Expanded