Start New Thread
Simple | Summaries | Expanded

Msg: 882330
Nature Hikers Subject: 2015
Board: Yakking It Up
Author: Nature HikersProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 12:12 AM
P-79F-1052M-502Premium
Just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy New Year!
Msg: 882331
Le Panache Subject: Re: 2015
Author: Le PanacheProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 12:17 AM
P-4F-35M-116Inactive
Reply to: Msg 882330 by Nature Hikers
Yes! Happy New Year everyone!
Msg: 882332
Green Tortuga Subject: Re: WOM questions
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Author: Green TortugaProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 12:36 AM
P-261F-1876M-21373Premium
Reply to: Msg 882327 by frankie and benjy
Although I think an argument could be made that they are WOM boxes.

If you made that argument, pretty much all personal travelers could be called WOM boxes, so why have an option for personal travelers at all?

If you have to find a person to get a box, it's a personal traveler. Let's not try to make exceptions because that's a slippery slope that leads to nothing good. Doesn't matter if the person changes.... you just transfer the owner from person to person and it's an adopted personal traveler box (and will even show up as an adopted personal traveler in the owner's AQ logbook). I don't really care what you want to call it for your personal logbook, but for listing purposes on AQ, it's a personal traveler.

-- Ryan
Msg: 882333
Subject: Re: WOM questions
Author: frankie and benjyProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 12:52 AM
P-82F-1883M-285Premium
Reply to: Msg 882332 by Green Tortuga
I seem to have hit a nerve, for which I apologize. I was just making a personal observation, not trying to lobby to change a decision that was apparently made some time ago.
Msg: 882334
Subject: Re: Meet & Greet?
Board: State: Oregon
Author: ScribeProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 1:10 AM
P-100F-489M-189
Reply to: Msg 881104 by Three Hearts
That would be fun as long as I am available. If it is helpful I am mostly available on Sunday's. And I am curious as I do not recognize the location, what is PWS?
Msg: 882335
Amanda from Seattle Subject: Re: 2015
Author: Amanda from SeattleProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 1:11 AM
P-262F-4581M-3566Premium
Reply to: Msg 882331 by Le Panache
It was a fabulous 2014! I did some awesome letterboxing, finding and hiding!! Looking forward to a WONDERFUL 2015!!!

Amanda from Seattle
Msg: 882337
Subject: Re: new box
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Author: RiverKatProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 4:13 AM
P-197F-3486M-245Candle
Reply to: Msg 882295 by Green Tortuga
When I typed in Robinson Hill Rd and tried to store it nothing happened, and no message came up. Just would not store it. Even tried just Endwell, NY. Tried various combinations and nothing worked. This is a first. Have never had this happen when planting.
Msg: 882338
Subject: Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Author: ConnfederateProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 4:29 AM
P-51F-1103M-817
Reply to: Msg 882272 by NotMyCircus
Atlas Quest: International Letterboxing
Just the other day I didn't find the 'box but I did find two bottles of booze, and one was unopened. Last finder's prize?
Msg: 882339
BBStacker Subject: 2014 Stats
Board: Walking4Fun
Author: BBStackerProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 4:52 AM
P-167F-2618M-2122Profile updatedPremium
It didn't take long for the 2014 Year to Date stats to disappear. I'm glad I logged my last few miles last night before the clock struck 2015 and saw my final numbers for the year.

Anyway, I am pleased that I walked 2560 miles in 2014 which is an increase by 960 miles from 2013.

I started 2014 on The Long Trail, finished that and began the PCT. I jumped off this tremendously long trail when the Arizona Trail was listed and completed this new trail. Back on the PCT for a very short time and the Scottish Highlands Way was listed on W4F. So I jumped off the PCT again and finished the awesome Scottish Highlands Way. Once again on the PCT I crossed over the half-way point on December 30th.

I need to have goals on my hikes. My goal on the PCT was to pass a specific runner. I did once, before jumping off for the other trails. Now she is a few hundred miles in front of me again so I have my work cut out for me in 2015.

I'm interested in reading how others progressed on W4F in 2014.

Happy New Year all and keep walking.
Msg: 882341
Lundy and Vickster Subject: Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Author: Lundy and VicksterProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 5:15 AM
P-160F-7401M-1129Inactive
Reply to: Msg 882338 by Connfederate
... and one was unopened. Last finder's prize?

Sounds like second finders prize.

Larry
Msg: 882345
Rocklun Subject: Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Author: RocklunProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 5:52 AM
P-529F-6896M-4969Premium
A beaver about 9 feet up a tree. Moth and I had no idea beavers could even climb trees!
Msg: 882349
NotMyCircus Subject: Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Author: NotMyCircusProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 6:29 AM
P-97F-549M-184
I thought I'd finally shed the newbie title, but since I've never witnessed sexcapades in the woods...

sniff, sniff.
Msg: 882350
crosscresent Subject: Re: Lost Box Has Been Found!
Author: crosscresentProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 6:32 AM
P-87F-238M-3248
Reply to: Msg 882303 by Trishee
I freaking love when that happens! I have 500 miles away that people couldn't find. Well finally someone did and I was so happy!

Reminds me, I need to go across the street and look for one by taichi and chiatea. It's across the street but behind an Old folks home. I wouldn't give up last time I looked, until some of the ladies came out like gangstas stomp'n their walkers and shaking their canes. Whew. Lucky to be alive I tell ya.
Msg: 882351
estella_naparella Subject: Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Author: estella_naparellaProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 6:40 AM
P-262F-1499M-511Premium
Reply to: Msg 882285 by Linden Leaf
oh, the Henry's not weird, he just likes to go boxing with us! ....on a leash

ok, maybe it's a wee bit odd.
Msg: 882352
Author: PiggyJauntProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 6:41 AM
P-263F-4760M-160Premium
I'd gone up to get the box and come back. I noticed the back of the park sign had the typical, call me for a good time numbers. But one of the graffiti posts said what his name was, the dates and times he'd be in the park at that location and how much he liked panties. And the box location I'd just come from had panties on the ground beside th bench. Ugh! Totally freaked me out. I dont think I'll go back there alone again.
Msg: 882353
Green Tortuga Subject: Re: 2014 Stats
Board: Walking4Fun
Author: Green TortugaProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 6:41 AM
P-261F-1876M-21373Premium
Reply to: Msg 882339 by BBStacker
It didn't take long for the 2014 Year to Date stats to disappear.

Hmm.... I'll have to look into that. I thought it would display the cumulative year-to-date stats for whatever day you were looking at like it does for the week or month. Seems logical to have it set up that way, at least. But I might not get a chance to look into it until later this afternoon.

Oooohhh..... You know, off the top of my head, I bet I know exactly what the bug is. Originally I set it up to only display stats as of "today's" date--whatever that was--so stats in January were pretty useless. (The numbers were identical to the month's stats.) I bet I forgot to check whether they're looking at January of "this year". Because it's January, it's just not displaying any numbers at all.

But I can't fix that at the moment.... Later this afternoon/evening I'll look into it, though. (Maybe later this morning, but no promises!)

-- Ryan
Msg: 882354
Author: brandicatProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 7:14 AM
P-31F-1459M-485
While boxing in a semi-urban area, we followed the clues from a road through a grassy area to some woods, and came upon a hidden campsite where some homeless peoiple had been living. There were sleeping bags, clothes, folding chairs, a cooking and eating area, etc. The box was in the trunk of a hollow tree right in the middle of the site! I felt like we were tresspassing in someone's home. Was very glad they weren't there at the time!
Msg: 882355
The Wolf Family Subject: Re: WOM questions
Author: The Wolf FamilyProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 7:17 AM
P-340F-2358M-19237
Reply to: Msg 882332 by Green Tortuga
If you have to find a person to get a box, it's a personal traveler.

UNLESS it's in a shop... or so it seems to be with other boxes...
This has always been pretty gray with those boxes. They are unique.

This one has always been a real traditional located in a shop that is accessible whenever the shop is open and been treated as a WOM for many years (as all the others ones were initially treated). Anyone who has ever found it knows that to be the case. You walk up to the counter and ask for it just like any other shop owned box.

But you can't really tell that from the clue. And there's no WOM icon on it. In the past when it was listed as a traditional, it wasn't really a problem (people would see the clue and ask). But now with the owner not attending any events for years, it will never show up in any searches anymore. And it's one heck of an amazing box!!

I still pass it on as a WOM clue and people just list it as a traditional find under Unlisted boxes (assuming premium membership or hat day), but there aren't that many of us who are left to remember it and pass it on. I could update the clue with a COMMENT as I have with other boxes, but as a PT it's not going to show up in anyone's searches anyway now.
Msg: 882358
Subject: Re: WOM questions
Author: RIclimberProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 7:31 AM
P-781F-3752M-762
Reply to: Msg 882073 by The Wolf Family
100 finds or more in a day (timeframe seems questionable)

That depends where you are. I've found 50 boxes in a day several times, and that was only a 6 hour walk in the woods. I quit because I was sick of boxing, not because I ran out of boxes or daylight.

A park near me has 250 boxes in it. A series near me has 51 boxes on a 6 mile hike.
Msg: 882360
Blackvelvetrav Subject: Re: Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry Class Sale!
Board: LTC Collective
Author: BlackvelvetravProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 7:38 AM
P-363F-497M-398PremiumInactive
Reply to: Msg 881964 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Yes and no. Day 2 was all about blending with two markers and in some cases the colors were not close together on the wheel but they show you how to bridge the gap. Day 3 is about getting more out of your markers. Let me get a few more lessons under my belt before you decide. Part of my decision to take the classes was to get more out of my current markers without purchasing more and learning to be strategic about my purchases.
Msg: 882362
crosscresent Subject: Re: Change notification
Board: Suggestion Box
Date: Jan 1, 2015 7:41 AM
P-87F-238M-3248
Reply to: Msg 882207 by frankie and benjy
Ah. I have a box with a hand full of my first plants. Retired boxes. All erasers. One finder was telling me they should all be listed, not just one box. Made no sense to me. It's one box. Maybe she meant as "others".
But I have some "others" that I wish could be moved. I had problems listing when I was new :/
Msg: 882365
Linden Leaf Subject: Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Author: Linden LeafProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 7:51 AM
P-14F-131M-618
Reply to: Msg 882351 by estella_naparella
Oh, I forgot you take Henry and that he even logs in sometimes. Do you push an umbrella stroller for him too when he gets tired of walking but instead of him using it you carry him? ;)
Msg: 882367
photopam Subject: Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Author: photopamProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 8:11 AM
P-17F-730M-995
Reply to: Msg 882287 by THE RED CYCLONE
a Baggie full of dog crap

I did see on pinterest a person found a geocach that used the gag poop to cover the box. interesting idea....
Msg: 882368
crosscresent Subject: Re: What do you carry and how?
Board: New Members' Board
Date: Jan 1, 2015 8:14 AM
P-87F-238M-3248
Reply to: Msg 882269 by Kimoppi
Kimoppi. Are you really this new? I am super impressed. You hit the ground running!! :)
Msg: 882369
Author: MizscarletProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 8:18 AM
P-56F-449M-535
Wiccan circle. Didn't realize what it was until I was standing in it. It was made of woven branches and had candles, shells and rocks placed along perimeter. I was actually very beautiful.
Msg: 882370
Subject: Re: The craziest thing - really?
Author: MunkeybeeProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 8:29 AM
P-436F-3125M-760Premium
Reply to: Msg 882324 by koalacat
Knowing all those things.....Yes I still clicked half expecting a pic. Not a full one. Maybe covered with vegetation. LOL Clearly I know better!! Oh internets, what have you done to me!!!!!!!!!!
Msg: 882372
Author: BluebutterflyProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 8:34 AM
P-70F-938M-233Premium
Yesterday entering a cemetery, looking for a box, there was a service going on with an open casket. Didn't want to disturb the family/friends, so we drove around looking for a landmark to the box. Deciding to come back later, we had to drive by the tent/casket again. To my surprise they were loading the casket in a pick up truck! What? Never seen that one before! They loaded it and took it to the actual grave site. You just never know what you are going to see! Thankfully, no naked people on my adventures. We left and came back later to stamp in the box.
Blue butterfly
Msg: 882374
heartsquare Subject: Re: The craziest thing I've ever seen letterboxing
Author: heartsquareProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 8:45 AM
P-50F-1171M-244
Reply to: Msg 882298 by idlemoon
Idlemoon - the pickle park - was that by any chance Indian Orchard Park in Media? When I went there with my daughter, 3-4 years ago, I pulled up in the parking lot loop behind a car that was running. I pulled up right behind it, assuming they were about to leave... but then realized there was no one in the driver's seat. I shut my car off, we gathered up our supplies... & then I saw the top of someone's head appear... they were in the backseat!! And here, dummy that I am, I had parked right behind them for a front row seat! LOL

Also, Ridley Creek State Park - one parking lot I parked in had a few guys sitting alone (I think!) in cars. I got a funny vibe, so I drove to another part of the park.

Once in my family's early hiking days, I took my twins on a hike in the Sheepfold area of the Fells, here in MA. I parked in the first lot I saw, and we hiked. Afterward, I opened the passenger side of the car, put the kids in, spent a few minutes buckling them & chatting & giving them snacks. Finally I closed the door & walked around to the driver's side, and got the shock of my life when I saw an overweight middle-aged man in a Speedo, in a fully reclined lounge chair, right next to my car!! I found out later that this is also a popular gay meet-up spot, and that most other people use a different parking area. Live and learn!!
Msg: 882375
The Wolf Family Subject: Re: WOM questions
Author: The Wolf FamilyProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 8:45 AM
P-340F-2358M-19237
Reply to: Msg 882358 by RIclimber
That depends where you are.

No matter where you are there is still only 24 hrs in a day. :)
I'm not saying that it's not possible, just that it's mathematically unlikely: 100 boxes in a day = a box every 15 minutes in a 24 hr period with no sleeping or stopping to eat (unless I've not done the math right?).

BUT what I've seen is that with boxes packed that close together, you have a group where people all branch off and fetch boxes. Only one member of the group is actually following the clue and seeing the location and oftentimes it's series with no logbooks.

I've NEVER done 100 in a day myself so it might be possible, but I have no intention of finding out. The most I did was 42 in a day and the boxes were literally within a couple of feet of each other (the majority of them in someone's backyard) and I just found it to be tedious after a while. Later, someone just gathered them all up, put them on a picnic table, everyone stamped, and they weren't put back because they were temp boxes. I guess they weren't into stamping every 2 feet either. *shrug* But their "finds" counted the same as mine (they got even more, in fact, since they got all of the boxes when I just got tired of unpacking and repacking and rehiding -- a step, they didn't have to do).

But I've seen enough people say they have done it over the years to just shrug it off. And if Eidolon has, I'd believe it. I KNOW he doesn't sleep or eat on a boxing frenzy. LOL! I guess I just don't have that level of endurance to do it legitimately!
Msg: 882376
Kimoppi Subject: Re: What do you carry and how?
Board: New Members' Board
Author: KimoppiProfileContactLogbookNote
Date: Jan 1, 2015 8:46 AM
P-18F-341M-291
Reply to: Msg 882368 by crosscresent
Yep. I am really this new. My first letterbox was a mystery box, and after I found it I used the Box Radar ap to find a couple more that were on my way home and didn't seem like they'd take too long. Yesterday I went out and managed to only find 3 of 7 I was looking for.

Letterboxing is basically perfect for me. I wanted to make exercise more fun. I LOVE puzzles. I am an art collector whose budget is very small. So I get to solve puzzles and suss out clues, get off my couch, and then fill a book with tiny pieces of art. :-)
|← First ← Previous
Next → Last &rarr|;
Start New Thread
Simple | Summaries | Expanded